Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal?

(14 Posts)
LauraElizabeth92 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:37:55

Is it normal to have irrational thoughts/fears once you've had a baby?

jessplussomeonenew Mon 27-Mar-17 16:45:44

Yes, I think to some extent it is natural to be overprotective and, particularly if sleep deprived, a bit irrational. But if it's bothering you or making life harder, you should probably get checked out by the GP just in case it's a form of PND.

nonameinspiration Mon 27-Mar-17 16:50:00

Yes - I've seen it called invasive thoughts on here which is a good description. Out if my nct group of 8 mums 2 of us suffered from it. My friend lost loads of weight through anxiety. I didn't but I was convinced I would drop dd1, trip on the clothes airer and disfigure her and so on. It was even worse with dd2 but I kind of knew what it was by then and could detach a bit. It passed eventually

nonameinspiration Mon 27-Mar-17 16:50:36

But it made the first few months of dd1 life hard to enjoy

Catherinezzzz Mon 27-Mar-17 16:53:49

I think it's totally normal - anything from "is this cough something serious?" to "what if I lose it and throw the baby out of the window?" If it's causing you a lot of distress speak to your health visitor or GP - they will have heard it all before!x

amysmummy12345 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:55:53

I've had similar, if I'm chopping veggies in convinced the knife is found to fly out of my hands somehow,falling over the balcony on our landing with the baby etc. My logical rational mind knows that these things aren't going to happen but it doesn't stop me imagining it 😌

amysmummy12345 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:56:19

* going not found

AprilShowers177 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:35:29

Completely normal.

BertrandRussell Wed 29-Mar-17 17:41:07

It can be normal. But it can also be a sign of problems. If it's worrying you find some help.

mummytime Wed 29-Mar-17 18:01:33

Can be normal - but if you are worried enough to post here, maybe you should talk to your GP?

MyMrKnightley Wed 29-Mar-17 18:55:28

I waddled to the day room and radio was stating that trump was president elect - I thought the world was going to hell!

Might be nothing to do with new baby dread though

Whyisitsodifficult Wed 29-Mar-17 20:53:51

I remember being convinced I was going to fall down the stairs whilst carrying my baby, I could even see me doing it in my head, it seemed very real! I took to bumping down the stairs on my bottom! Of course I didn't, not sure how I got over it but I did. I guess you need to judge whether your thoughts are irrational and you can deal with them or whether you need to seek help as they're turning into more paranoid feelings.

Beansprout30 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:09:34

For about a month after my dd was born I had horrible thoughts of vehicles mounting the pavements and smashing into her pram, but only when's someone else was pushing her. The thoughts just disappeared after a few weeks but I think it's quite normal

Whoami24601 Thu 30-Mar-17 20:25:48

After DD was born, I asked DH if we could move our bed just incase we went crashing through the ceiling in the night. hmm We were directly above her cot, but I don't think that mattered really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now