Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed: Non-driver query on car seats

(8 Posts)
bookemdanno Mon 27-Mar-17 09:52:55

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the best car seat to get?

I'm a first-time mother-to-be, I don't drive and don't own a car, but I want to get a car seat for when my mother-in-law or friends (or a taxi) picks me up to take me and baby somewhere.

Baby isn't due until September, so I have some time, but I need a car seat that is quick and easy to fit, yet still safe, and ideally if possible is part of a buggy system (ie I can then take the car seat out at the destination and connect it to a buggy base to transport baby)

Can anyone give me recommendations? Or am I dreaming here?

buckyou Mon 27-Mar-17 10:02:32

I'd get a maxi cosi. I've got a cabriofix which does all the things you say (compatible with a lot of prams). I think there a newer models now though.

Alternatively you could just get a travel system and get whatever car seat goes with that.

Heirhelp Mon 27-Mar-17 15:16:54

Most car seats go with most travel seats but you may need adapters. Keeping baby in a car seat for a long time is not ideal for their breathing and development of back muscles.

HiMyNameIsUnknown Mon 27-Mar-17 15:54:44

I would visit somewhere locally that has a good choice of prams and give your requirements. We bought a travel system so 2 parts could be used as car seats plus it gave us a buggy. It's great for the car however I wouldn't have picked it if I was regularly using public transport as it's heavy and I need two hands to fold it down. We got a good deal on buying it as a travel system versus buying all the parts individually but I would focus on your product requirements first then see if it's has a corresponding suitable car seat.

Usually Stage 0 car seats are the highly transportable car seats that can be clipped onto your wheels to use as a pram. After that car seats tend to be heavier & are not pram compatible as the child is older/heavier. My son is in a size 0/1 car seat so will be rear-facing until 4 (i-size approved) but it can't be used as a pram so it stays permanently on the car

HTHs

ThatsNotMyToddler Mon 27-Mar-17 18:42:00

I would agree you're best going into a shop and looking. I would just suggest that if you're only going to use the car seat occasionally you may want one you can use for years - like HiMy mentions above. Otherwise although the early ones are really convenient you may begrudge spending £££ on something you don't use much. And they done really have a resale value as the advice is to buy new.

I would recommend a lightweight/easy fold buggy to go in car boots/on buses etc (try to get one where baby can lie flat to start with) and then a long-term car seat for reasons above.

ThatsNotMyToddler Mon 27-Mar-17 18:42:35

don't really have a resale value

ThatsNotMyToddler Mon 27-Mar-17 18:43:26

Also should say you can buy an ISO fix car seat so easy to put in almost any modern car (obviously check with family/cars you might go in regularly that it fits)

bookemdanno Mon 03-Apr-17 10:10:46

Brilliant, thanks everyone for your advice!

I think it's definitely worth us going into a shop that sells a good range and asking for their advice, as at least I can see the buggy/car seat in person and give it a test drive, haha smile I will ask about the maxi-cosi range, as well as others, and see what they think.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now