Talk

Advanced search

3 year old mealtines

(13 Posts)
BreatheDeep Sun 26-Mar-17 18:37:14

What time do you do dinner (evening meal) for your 3 year old? My son is incredibly grumpy at dinner and often refuses to eat so I'm wondering if we're doing it too late.

Any other tips on how to encourage him to eat when he's grumpy? Meals are becoming quite stressful and I really really don't want that as I don't want him to have bad associations with food.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Mar-17 19:14:56

We eat at 5 and have done for a long time. DH is often still at work so he usually warms his up.

If you are home in the day, coukd you swap his main meal to lunchtime so there's not as much pressure on at teatime?

Krapom Sun 26-Mar-17 19:19:47

Breakfast at about half seven, lunch between 12 and half past, dinner about 5.

timeforheroes Sun 26-Mar-17 19:21:55

About 5pm here. DCs all eat then, then in the bath before bedtime routine starts.

FiveMinutesAlone Sun 26-Mar-17 19:23:25

I aim for around 5 - 5:30pm.

Doje Sun 26-Mar-17 19:26:44

We eat at 5pm.

We went through a really tough time a while ago, when he was about 2.5yrs. What worked for us was to really reduce his portion size. I found something on (i think) the baby centre website, or NHS one that suggested sizes and I used the lower end of those. Things like pasta bake, just 1 tablespoon. Or if doing bangers and mash, half a sausage, dessert spoon of mash, 5 slices of carrots, dessert spoon of peas.

isthistoonosy Sun 26-Mar-17 19:28:12

1630 but that's more because of the two yr old, the three yr old could wait until 1700.

BreatheDeep Sun 26-Mar-17 19:40:08

I think we might be a bit late then as it's normally around 5.30pm if not a little later. I'll try moving it to 5pm and see if it helps. If not I'll see if I can do a main at lunchtime more often. Thanks for the tips.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 26-Mar-17 19:43:20

Agree with Doje on offering really small portions too. They can always ask for more smile

Aquamarine1029 Tue 28-Mar-17 18:28:01

I think you're waiting too long to feed him. By the time dinner comes around his blood sugar levels have plummeted so of course he's grumpy. Feed him around 4-4:30 and then give him a light, healthy snack of fruit or yogurt when the rest of you eat. Be sure to make him sit with you at dinner time, though. Allowing him to roam and play will set a very bad habit that will be hard to break.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Mar-17 18:45:58

HOw are you getting on now @BreatheDeep?

EyeStye Tue 28-Mar-17 18:49:01

What time does he have lunch? On preschool days they feed the kids at 11.45 and I have to give dinner at 4pm as soon as we get in to avoid "so hungry I won't eat grumps" (that's just so bloody typical of toddlers - irrational!). I do a later tea before bed of crackers or banana or the like

BreatheDeep Tue 28-Mar-17 20:46:54

Tried an earlier meal today and yesterday and it didn't change much. Yesterday he definitely wasn't tired at dinner as he'd had a nap in the car which he doesn't normally do anymore.

He's getting over a cold at the moment so it has been worse than normal. I've pretty much decided to let it go at the moment and see if it gets better once he's better. Once he is I'll try a lunchtime main for him instead. He hardly ate any lunch today either so don't think there is much point trying yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now