Talk

Advanced search

Dairy / Soya Free - "Go To" Food Recommendations?

(13 Posts)
HLBug Sat 25-Mar-17 16:34:31

Have posted in the "Intolerance/ Allergy" area, but also posting here for traffic.

DS (2.11) was on nutramigen as a baby due to suspected cmpa. Went through the milk ladder at age 1 and all fine. Absolutely fine in fact - drinking lots of cows milk and pooping regularly.

Fast forward a year or so ago (age 2.2m?) and he became very constipated - 9 months later and various GP referrals have put us back to dieticians whilst we wait on a v.long gastro waiting list. Dieticians have suggested 4 week trial of going dairy / soya free again to see if that helps. I'm dubious but will obviously give it a go (DS currently only poos every 5-6 days despite being on stool softener and laxatives).

So - we've done the diet before, but I've forgotten (blanked) most of it. Off to shops today to buy oatly, coconut yoghurts etc etc - but does anyone else have any 'must have' (tasty) diary / soya free recommendations? Crumpets were good last time, as were potato waffles... what else should I get?

doleritedinosaur Sat 25-Mar-17 16:38:57

Aldi is really useful for this as my DS is dairy & soya free.
There's a dark chocolate bunny in there that's free of dairy & soya so is their ready rolled pastry, biscuits, their chicken & fish.

DS has gone really fussy but we make him peanut butter sandwiches, falafel & hummus wraps, sweet potato fries, risotto made with almond milk & flora freedom. Sausage rolls etc.

Oatly now do creme fraiche as well.

IvyLeagueUnderTheSea Sat 25-Mar-17 16:41:30

I just dropped by to recommend oatly too. We are a dairy eating household but have it by choice. They now do custard too.

1981trouble Sat 25-Mar-17 16:43:41

Morrisons have the coconut yoghurts that actually taste nice! I can't remember the brand but they are fairly new to standard shops (we also like wot no dairy and xotic from holland and Barrett). There is also dfsf cheese spread.
Violife cheese is ok for pizzas
Vitalite for margarine.
There are dairy free chicken nuggets and fish fingers, check the fresh mainstream ones as coop popcorn chicken is dfsf I think.

Chocolate Bourbon biscuits.
Popcorn packs

Moo free chocolate.

PoloZolo Sat 25-Mar-17 16:44:13

What kind of things does he like? Then we can suggest alternatives. E.g., if he likes garlic bread then I think Tesco value one is dairy free.
Other ideas are Orios, Pom bears, alpro yogurts, flapjack, those fruit bear winder style thingies, shops own hobnob biscuits, part cooked bread rolls.
Hope the trial goes ok and it either rules it out or helps flowers

laurzj82 Sat 25-Mar-17 16:56:26

Violife cheese is the only nice ish tasting cheese I've found. Hob nobs. Chocolate mousse made with avocado. Lots of recipes online for that. Pom bears have soya in now so beware because they didn't used to, actually so have skips. It's a bit expensive but bouja bouja ice cream is yuuum. Will post more as i remember because luckily DD has outgrown it now.

HLBug Sat 25-Mar-17 17:48:15

Thanks all. Just sat in Sainsbury's car park now (post shop). I managed to find chocolate oatly which I'm hoping will go down well - not as a long term thing but certainly for the 4 week trial. Dieticians have said he needs to have at least 300ml of oatly a day to get calcium needs - so if he won't drink the standard stuff 'straight' then chocolate flavoured may be the only way to go. No oatly custard though, boo.

All the mainstream bread seems to have soya!! So I've got some hideous looking gluten and everything else free version - what bread do others use?

Pom bears also have soya, and the alpro range is no good either. Couldn't find any violife cheese or coconut yoghurts - am I best getting these in a health food shop or does anyone know any supermarkets that stock them? We live in a city so I have a reasonable amount of choice (no waitrose though, boo). Cheese would be really really good to find.

Bread sticks, popcorn and oatcakes all successfully sourced for snack times.

I'm 36 pregnant and officially exhausted. Hoping to get 4 week trial out of the way before baby arrives as I can't imagine doing this with a newborn will be any fun 😩. Sounds awful but I'm not sure if I want trial to work or not!! Would obviously love him to start pooing more regularly...but the thought of going completely dairy / soya free again as a family is just ugh.

I have a few days off work this week to 'nest' so will pop into Aldi to see what they have.

laurzj82 Sat 25-Mar-17 18:03:23

Tesco sell violife. Probably need to go to a big one though. Ah bread, yes we had a nightmare with bread. Tesco finest super seeded is ok. The only decent white one we found was Jacksons Champion White Bloomer. Sold in morrisons and waitrose.

hazelnutlatte Sat 25-Mar-17 18:16:48

I'm surprised that normal bread contains dairy / soya. If you have to do this long term I'd suggest investing in a bread maker as no one wants to pay a fortune for gluten free bread when you don't even need to avoid gluten!
My local tesco has violife cheese and sainsburys do a range of dairy free cheese too that I don't think is soya based. It's also quite simple to make a spreadable 'cheese' from cashews if you have a decent blender.

HLBug Sat 25-Mar-17 18:24:52

Sainsbury's dairy free cheese has soya in it unfortunately. Most disappointing! There is a massive Tesco extra a few miles away so I'll try and source violife and coconut yoghurts there during the week. Just back from shops and DH has announced that we have no frozen peas, carrots, potato wedges or new potatoes (!) Why he didn't think to text me about this when I was in the actual shops I don't know...! Sigh.

doleritedinosaur Sat 25-Mar-17 18:34:58

Aldi have 3 types of bread that are dairy & soya free.
Also their Pom bears are soya free & as far as last month their "skips"
Were fine as well.

I know holland & Barrett have the moo free eggs buy 1 get 1 half price at the moment.

Almond breeze have just brought out a chocolate almond milk as well.

I make DS milkshakes with fruit using almond milk.

HLBug Sat 25-Mar-17 20:04:47

Fab, thank you. I'll definitely pop in Aldi this week for a look. Fruit milkshakes also a great idea for getting calcium intake up.

Day 1 starts tomorrow...

HLBug Fri 31-Mar-17 21:52:57

Thought I'd post an update. Frequency of DS poos have not changed this week (but I know we're still in the early days) - but we had an absolute poonami situation tonight. His last poo was on Sunday so this was his 'normal' poo day (day 5). Poo was out of nappy and down his trousers and out onto carpet (both sides / legs). Required an emergency shower, full change of clothes, changing mat in the shower and load into washing machine. We were both a little bit traumatised!!

Anyone have any idea if this is a good or a bad thing?! Is going dairy / soya free known to change poo consistency?! Any experiences to share?

Sorry for the poo chat - but that's really all our lives revolve around at the moment!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now