Talk

Advanced search

DS is 'worried mummy will get hurt when baby comes'

(5 Posts)
DirtyDancing Mon 20-Mar-17 22:22:19

My 3 year old DS said to Daddy tonight he was worried mummy will get hurt when the baby comes.

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and I'm devastated for him. We've just started talking about the labour and saying Mummy will go to hospital and the doctor will take the baby or the tummy, but nothing about being 'hurt'.

How can I reassure him? He's is very much a Mummy's boy, and is getting more and more clingy with me every day. Daddy isn't allowed to do anything, and gets very little attention from DS at the moment. Any advice gratefully appreciated about preparing him.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 20-Mar-17 22:25:23

He sounds like a lovely boy and wanting mummy more than daddy is just a phase. Mine now only want daddy (for baths, stories etc) and it hurts but is a temporary thing

Have you got a local library you could visit with him in the next few days - I am sure there are a lot of books about the arrival of a new baby

DirtyDancing Mon 20-Mar-17 22:28:07

Actually that is a great idea. He's not going to nursery tomorrow due to an appointment, so I'm going take him to the library and we can have some Mummy and DS time and talk about it, thanks

wobblywonderwoman Mon 20-Mar-17 23:27:53

Best of luck !!

haventgotaclue1 Tue 21-Mar-17 19:48:12

The library idea is a really good one - I'm 37 weeks with a 2.4year old DD and we've had some really good books from our local library (one of them she wanted read to her every night for an entire week!!!). She understands that I'm going into hospital and has "helped" me pack the bags for me and baby; and knows who's going to look after her whilst DH and I are at the hospital. Must admit, she hasn't asked about it hurting or anything like that....but I think the books have really helped her smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now