Talk

Advanced search

Son miserable at school

(2 Posts)
thethighshaveit Mon 20-Mar-17 12:01:04

My son is 9 and miserable at school. He doesn't have any good friends and the one boy who was his friend has stopped talking to him.

My son is not the easiest kid to get on with, he is very logical and finds it hard to cope with things that are unexpected and I suspect this makes him a difficult friend. He is also not very cool. However he is incredibly kind and caring and I really don't know what to do.

Should I speak to the school? They have always shrugged these things off when I have raised them before and I don't want to make it worse for him. I know that once he's older and able to find an environment where his 'abnormal' is the norm he will thrive but that's a long time off when you are 9.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be very gratefully received.

Maggie2828 Mon 20-Mar-17 20:47:01

Sorry to hear you ds is having a hard time. My 9 yo has struggled with school in the past (for different reasons) and it's really hard to feel they are not happy and not be able to wave a magic wand to make it better.

One boy in my sons class was having problems socially and his mum arranged weekend play dates for him with some of the other kids, which seemed to help. Any clubs your ds could join to make friends outside of school? Also there are loads of great books for the age range about outsiders who come into their own, which might normalise what he is going through. The Cressida cowell how to train your dragon series is fab!

Also lots of positive reinforcement at home that he is ok being him.

All best wishes to your ds

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now