Talk

Advanced search

Going away

(4 Posts)
palomas Sun 19-Mar-17 12:47:37

Hello
I'm going away next week for 5 days with my younger daughter for a family issue I need to resolve in France.
I will leave my 5 years at home in London with her dad, and she'll be going to school.
I've never left her before at night.
When is the best time to tell her?
Im off tomorrow and as I didn't want her to mull it over for days I was going to tell her tomorrow morning at breakfast time, and then drop her off at school before I fly.
We've been playing puppet shows where I acted out with her teddies what is going to happen and she loved it, but I worry that it won't give her time to ask questions and that I'm leaving it too late.
Although I worry that if I tell her today she will cry and make a fuss until tomorrow.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Foldedtshirt Sun 19-Mar-17 14:36:11

Gosh, I'd tell her today, definitely. Plan a nice breakfast for her, present it as something you have to do but not worrying and work out how you can communicate- call or FaceTime? Perhaps also tell her you'll bring her back a treat?

NuffSaidSam Sun 19-Mar-17 15:00:11

I'd tell her this afternoon, but do it very casually.You're making a huge deal out of it and that will probably influence how she feels about it. If you are nonchalant and relaxed and present it as something that is absolutely normal and fine, she will take it the same way.

palomas Sun 19-Mar-17 20:50:12

Thanks very much for your advices.
I was gonna wait until the morning as her teacher had advised me to, but did tell her this afternoon and she was ok about it. Got a bit upset but talked it through, at least it gave us some time to discuss how she was feeling.
Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now