Talk

Advanced search

Snuzpod - short terms gains v long term burdens

(9 Posts)
Almondbiscotti Sun 19-Mar-17 09:10:48

Hi
I have read 101 good things about the snuzpod but DH is concerned of little one becoming too attached and then struggling to transfer to their own room.

Does anyone have experience of finding snuzpod transition to babys own room a struggle perhaps for this reason?

TIA

onemorelindor Sun 19-Mar-17 09:54:06

Hi OP,

We had a Snuzpod and really liked it. DS is a big boy and would have outgrown a Moses basket in a flash, so glad we had something that lasted a few months longer. Never attached it to the bed - just had it next to the bed.

Whatever option you go for, SIDS guidelines are that baby should sleep in the same room as you for both naps and nighttime sleep for the first 6 months of life.

Lots of people then move baby happily into their own room, no issue. Others choose to roomshare/co-sleep a while longer because that means BFing is easier/everyone sleeps better/getting up in the night requires less effort.

If you want a co-sleeping arrangement without shelling out for a Snuzpod, then you could take the side off any cotbed and attach it to your bed in a sidecar arrangement if you have space.

The decisions you make will ultimately be driven by how your baby sleeps. Really not unusual for newborns to want to sleep being held by/right next to their parents. They do outgrow this (eventually).

jessplussomeonenew Sun 19-Mar-17 09:56:13

I don't think a tiny baby can be too attached (google the fourth trimester). I would say giving your child all the comfort, closeness and attention it needs when tiny is the way to build a secure, confident child who will become independent in their own time. On the other hand pushing them to be "independent" too early is a recipe for clinginess and anxiety later on. We moved DS into a cot at the foot of our bed once he outgrew the snuzpod, then into his own room later so it wasn't too much change all at once.

YorkieDorkie Sun 19-Mar-17 09:56:48

We had a snuzpod, loved it! DD went into her own cot at 4 months with no issues. We never attached it to the bed, it was purely used like a Moses basket.

Camomila Sun 19-Mar-17 11:55:29

I loved our snuzpod but just wanted to say it might not last the whole 6 months - DS is tall and outgrew it by 4 months.

We're mainly co-sleeping now but I don't think the snuzpod necessarily had anything to do with it as I usually kept the side up and he would have been in a crib right next to the bed anyway if I hadn't bought the snuzpod.

knaffedoff Sun 19-Mar-17 12:09:12

I would definitely have a snuzpod over a Moses basket any day.

Babies need to be close to their mothers, husbands do not! Despite this I share my bed every night with my dh, not concerned with attachment issues. Perhaps you do the same grin

Almondbiscotti Sun 19-Mar-17 19:45:54

Thanks all. I am comparing the snuzpod to one of the hammock style cots like the Poco. I am leaning more towards the Poco as baby can still be as close to me although in less cosleeping way and i can rock baby back to sleep. Did anyone consider the hammock style cots?

ODog Sun 19-Mar-17 21:02:11

Seriously, you do what you need to to survive. If the baby will only sleep wedged under your armpit with a tit in its mouth then that it what will happen regardless of any pre-set rules or good intentions. I had lots and currently have a set up where my nearly 3yo and 10mo can both cosleep. They are independent, happy, confident little things. They just don't sleep unless they are close. I don't really care where they sleep as long as we can all get sleep.

RNBrie Sun 19-Mar-17 21:05:56

Had a snuzpod for two out of three of mine, no problems transferring them at all. Used a little music/light box so they got used to going to sleep with that playing. Then at 6 months started putting them in their own rooms for naps then a few days later at bed time. Was very straightforward

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now