Talk

Advanced search

First UK family holiday

(10 Posts)
Vics100pink Sun 19-Mar-17 06:11:14

Hi all looking to take baby on holiday she will be six months any recommendations of first family holiday places

mrsnec Sun 19-Mar-17 06:16:37

Self catering holidays have been easier for us. Dd didn't behave very well in hotels at that age.

We're not in the UK but are having our first UK holiday later in the year. We're staying at Haven Weymouth Bay on reccomendations.

MochaChocaChino Sun 19-Mar-17 06:36:12

We did a Butlins Tots break which was fab. Geared towards families with kids under 5 - there was lots to do/see inc. wander along the beach (went in March so was a bit chilly!) Really reasonable price too and had food inc which was great.

Vics100pink Sun 19-Mar-17 06:41:00

Ah fantastic, what kind of accommodation you staying in they have different types of caravans

PlugUgly1980 Sun 19-Mar-17 06:44:23

Self catering cottages are best, we stayed near Bakewell in the Peak District when our first was 16 weeks, we chose somewhere with a swimming pool so we could all go in. We've also done Northumberland coast self catering with a 4 month old and toddler. We went for places which were only a couple of hours travelling from home, so far enough to feel like a holiday, but not too long in the car for little ones and close enough we could bail and come home if it all went wrong. Other top tip with self catering is book an online shop to arrive on your first evening, means you don't have to worry about getting shopping in or it taking up space in the car. We've also done Bedgellert in Snowdonia, Fort William and are going to Cornwall this year. We're quite outdoorsy, so usually aim for a walk, picnic, coffee stop, then play on the beach/park/swimming pool/ museum/ or something similar for the kids.

mrsnec Sun 19-Mar-17 06:52:25

I'm not sure. I was dubious so MIL booked us the biggest poshest caravan they had (her words) we will have both sets of gps with us.

I looked at the just for tots Butlins breaks and they look great but like that and Centre Parcs I couldn't get the dates to work with our flights.

From experience here I like space and comfort but we had dd's first holiday in a yurt and also had several weekends away in log cabins so you can manage in smaller spaces.

Vics100pink Sun 19-Mar-17 07:06:13

Ah I'd like to stay in a yurt where was that?

EsmesBees Sun 19-Mar-17 07:09:08

Our first holiday was a self catering cottage in North Norfolk. Great beaches and lots of buggy friendly walks. Many cottages provide things like travel cots and stair gates which make the travelling easier.

mimiholls Sun 19-Mar-17 07:18:26

Try to do it before you start weaning it will be so much easier.

mrsnec Sun 19-Mar-17 07:24:00

Yurt was near Paphos in Cyprus. It was just to say I know there are loads in the UK and it was very practical when dd was so little but I know there are a few in the UK too. Although I don't know any specific sites I think Devon, Dorset and Somerset would be good areas for that kind of thing.

My reservation with Haven at first was that a friend came home early from one of their sites because of unsavory neighbours but then I realised that could happen anywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now