Talk

Advanced search

Perfect prep safety....

(22 Posts)
ClaireL90 Thu 16-Mar-17 18:21:28

Hi,
Heard about the mould issue. I have seen articles not the watch did programme. What are people's thoughts? Would you still buy one? What did they feel the issues in the show wee?

BillyButtfuck Thu 16-Mar-17 18:29:37

I haven't got one but they seem like a complete waste of time to me. I have formula fed twins and making up bottles takes seconds.
Someone on my Facebook opened hers up and it was caked in mould envyI assume if you clean it properly and regularly it wouldn't be a problem.

ClaireL90 Thu 16-Mar-17 18:37:06

Did they use it often?

I have the use of one arm so it makes sense for me to get one. I thought it was a really good idea until I saw this.

neonrainbow Thu 16-Mar-17 18:43:18

I love mine. Tommee tippee have released a statement about it now. I expect people haven't cleaned them properly.

ClaireL90 Thu 16-Mar-17 18:47:38

Can you get to the back to check the wires and pipes etc easily without breaking it?

KarmaKit Thu 16-Mar-17 18:52:23

I wouldn't trust them tbh. Even before the current scandal I thought they probably weren't the miracle machine they were hailed as.

ClaireL90 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:08:14

I know it does their reputation no good but how long in advance can you make up a bottle and heat it with an electric thingy?

neonrainbow Thu 16-Mar-17 20:20:50

They are so so much easier than faffing about with a kettle and there's no scientific evidence that it causes any breakthrough problems. TT have posted a response to the claims about the mould and they appear to think it's due to people using non branded filters. You can buy the machines for about £60 if you shop around. Just make sure you keep them clean as per the instructions and only use branded filters.

neonrainbow Thu 16-Mar-17 20:21:26

That should be health not breakthrough.

neonrainbow Thu 16-Mar-17 20:21:50

The back is held on with a few screws.

MontysTiredMummy Thu 16-Mar-17 20:24:23

I love ours. Always cleaned and descaled it thoroughly and used TT filters. I did have the back off yesterday as a precaution and there was no mould.

Didn't the woman admit to using a filter from her water filter or something? If so then meh.

tissuesosoft Thu 16-Mar-17 20:24:37

I've been using a prep machine for over a year now and I clean it every month, including the pipes. I use the tommee tippee filters and have never had a problem with it. This link is great for how to clean it thoroughly- www.tommeetippee.co.uk/perfectprepcleaning

Ticketoutofloserville Thu 16-Mar-17 20:30:48

My ds has had a long run of colds, chesty coughs and sickness so was convinced our pp machine had mould in it after I saw the fb post, I havent cleaned it since I got it 3 months ago, I honestly didnt realise I should have been doing. blush
Anyway, we took it apart and zero mould. I don't use it now though. I make the bottles up in the morning, flash cool them and use on demand. Ds is 6mo though.

MongerTruffle Fri 17-Mar-17 04:49:47

You just need to use the branded filters and clean it regularly.
They said that it's probably carbon from people using their water filters.

RaeSkywalker Fri 17-Mar-17 05:09:57

I think it's common sense- clean the flipping thing, exercise basic hygiene (only touch the top of the filter when changing it), only use TT filters. It makes sense to me that TT filters are more heavy-duty than Wilko ones (which are designed to filter tap water for adult consumption). TT are aaying that the black stuff could actually be carbon deposits from non-branded filters, not mould.

It's used to prepare a feed for your baby, so buy the right equipment and run regular cleaning cycles. It'll be fine.

I wouldn't be without ours.

Tootsiepops Fri 17-Mar-17 05:14:47

I loved ours. My LO is 16 months now, so our machine hasn't been used since she turned one, but I had a look inside it the other day and it's perfectly clean.

ClaireL90 Fri 17-Mar-17 16:49:37

I guess if you're that worried you'd just change the filter every month when you cleaned it out? If they aren't that expensive

tissuesosoft Fri 17-Mar-17 17:19:10

The TT filters are about £10. I change ours every 3 months, there's a light that flashes on the machine to let you know it's time to change

ClaireL90 Fri 17-Mar-17 18:04:51

I had this thought occur. If you bought one and it was mouldy or whatever when you did clean it wouldn't there be like bugs floating in the water?

chicken2015 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:49:22

I'm finding the comments on the tommee tippee official page very frustrating, I brought mine for our 6 week old and it's fine, people who don't like them are very self righteous on the comments! Someone few days ago was rude about bottle feeding and told me it was lack of support I didn't breastfeed! Was really rude then told me she was breastfeeding peer support! When I called her out on her being rude she deleated her post, it's really annoyed me ! It's completely person choice and if parents want to use perfect prep it's completely up to them!

chicken2015 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:51:31

I think I'm finding the whole parenting thing and people being self righteous frustrating! I blame being a new mum! So I apologise for my rant!

ClaireL90 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:06:59

People can be key board worriors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now