We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting ready in the mornings

(14 Posts)
JonSnowsWhore Wed 15-Mar-17 08:14:04

I feel like I'm going to lose it with my year 6 daughter one of these days about getting ready in the mornings! Every day no matter how much stuff we have ready the night before, she still takes about 45 mins to get dressed alone!
I have 2 kids at 2 different schools so leaving on time is important to getting them both in on time.
One of these days I will just take her in in her pyjamas or something if she doesn't move herself. Please tell me it's not just me!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Wed 15-Mar-17 08:16:19

5x dc to get out the house every day.
2 different schools.
Def feel your pain!!

JonSnowsWhore Wed 15-Mar-17 08:57:06

Oh my god sorry but you're super mum, I definitely couldn't do that! It will get to the point where I have to drag her in with wild hair & stinky breath but obviously I don't want to do that because then ill worry she'll be the picked on child! Argh

StrayHairOnMyScreen Wed 15-Mar-17 08:59:34

My mum took my brother into school in his pajamas once with his uniform in a carrier bag because he was so shit at getting ready in the morning. He never did it again.

isupposeitsverynice Wed 15-Mar-17 09:01:12

I have a hairbrush in the car. I mean I realise this isn't much but I never remember to brush her hair before we leave so then I can do it quickly before we go in to school.

JonSnowsWhore Wed 15-Mar-17 09:03:41

🙈 it's one of those things that we all threaten but wouldn't want to actually do. Well done to your mum though, lesson learnt haha! I keep telling her she has secondary school next year she's going to have to be a hell of a lot more organised & have to leave on time or she'll get detention, I don't think it's sunk in yet that I'm telling the truth!

In the car I told her from now on if she's not completely ready, dressed, hair, teeth, breakfast etc then I'm going without her & she'll have to walk to school & make herself late. Of course I couldn't actually do that because it's about a 30/40 min walk to her school!

JonSnowsWhore Wed 15-Mar-17 09:05:16

Isuppose yep we end up with her hairbrush in the car aswell. It's the 45 mins getting dressed! Why?? Why does the cat need to play with her tights in the middle of her getting ready? Stop dangling them infront of him!!

GlitteryFluff Wed 15-Mar-17 09:07:46

Don't threaten anything you won't follow through with!

Does she have a tablet? Or a favourite something?

If you told her once she's totally ready in the mornings she can go on tablet til you have to leave would that encourage her? If she takes all morning she can't go on it, if she hurries up she benefits?

JonSnowsWhore Wed 15-Mar-17 09:14:32

She has a phone & tablet yes, but doesn't really use them in the mornings anyway too busy dangling tights at cats

We've had instances where I've taken them away for a good week in the past because she hasn't tidied her room & she just doesn't seem to care. Well doesn't care enough to actually do her room to get them back anyway.

She'll end up going to school & telling them she hasn't eaten breakfast one day & it'll be me that's seen as the evil parent, not just get not wanting to move her butt fast enough to fit everything in

highinthesky Wed 15-Mar-17 09:18:24

Can't you incentivise her somehow? E.g. any time she has left over after getting ready to the required standard can be spent doing something she likes? Like playing with the cat?

JonSnowsWhore Wed 15-Mar-17 09:23:57

Can't always rely on mr Axl's presence as he does as he pleases haha but yes I see what you mean. If we leave on time she gets to go in the shop before school to buy something for break time or after school so yeah I can start saying if she's not ready on time she doesn't get the money.

She's a teenager before her time, this one. Feels like the 'unloved, hard done by child' if she gets told off for one thing, but doesnt realise if she was unloved she wouldn't get everything like her £200 school trip just paid for, gymnastics every week, im currently trying to do her bedroom up for her once it's tidy

I do think it's my fault & ive let her become too spoilt & get away with the laziness for too long, so when I have to be hard on her, it's a shock haha

redexpat Wed 15-Mar-17 09:26:38

Dont ever threaten something which you are not prepared to follow through on.

Dd we are leaving in 15 minutes. If youre not ready you will go in your pjs.

10 minutes till we leave.

5 minutes - are you ready?

Time to go.

Is it possible to remove the cat from the equation? By which i mean put it outside in the morning. Or remove the tights and she can wear socks instead. Too cold? Tough.

JonSnowsWhore Wed 15-Mar-17 09:42:25

Haha the cat was just this morning, he usually does go outside as soon as we wake up. She'll find anyway to dawdle, staring into space if there's nothing else!

isupposeitsverynice Thu 16-Mar-17 09:59:58

Sorry but I did laugh at this vision of her and the cat, while you are shouting about the time with steam coming out of your ears grin

I dunno, I was a dawdler and still am - my kids dress themselves much quicker than I do myself! I do agree don't make threats you can't follow through - dh does that and it's interesting how much quicker the children respond to my instructions than his... grin Will she be travelling to secondary on her own? That'll sort her out, I reckon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now