Talk

Advanced search

Solids - what and when?

(7 Posts)
mazzamoo123 Wed 15-Mar-17 00:18:58

Hi there,

For various reasons I started giving my baby solids at 18 weeks. He's now 5 months old and I was wondering if there was any reason why I shouldn't start giving him chicken and fish... So far he's only had fruit and veg purées but I think he's a bit bored of them! He's on three meals a day now (with plenty of formula too) so some variety would be nice but I don't want to harm his digestion.

Also, when can I give him home made porridge made with oats and normal milk? My first son loved it but I don't want to give it to DS2 too early if it's bad.

Thanks!

Sylvannas Wed 15-Mar-17 00:36:50

The advice is 6 months. If you think baby is ready earlier I'd maybe talk to your health visitor or GP about it.

mimiholls Wed 15-Mar-17 07:40:07

6 months. There's no benefit to him to have them before and it could be harmful unless for a medical reason.

ODog Wed 15-Mar-17 21:01:04

He wouldn't be bored of them. Most babies have had only milk up to now and they aren't bored of that.

As per pp, 6m as per guidelines unless your doctor or HV suggests otherwise due to medical conditions you have alluded to.

my2bundles Thu 16-Mar-17 13:39:17

Normal milk 12 months. Everything else 6 months.

Heirhelp Fri 17-Mar-17 11:57:39

Normal milk can be used for cooking and for cereal from 6 months.

Personally I would not be giving food before 6 months but there is a huge variety of fruit and veg out there so I fail to see how he is bored of it.

Bex134 Sat 18-Mar-17 01:35:23

Guidelines are 6months but back when I was little my mum keeps telling we we were given little bits from 3 months which was baby rice type things I think. Maybe ask someone older who did this? It may be too early for meat products but I'm not sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now