Talk

Advanced search

Is the Tommee tippee perfect prep machine safe?

(12 Posts)
Annaa123 Fri 10-Mar-17 12:55:09

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I've been looking into the perfect prep machine for a while. Whilst I was comparing prices I came across a video stating it's not actually safe after a few uses, link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1pW6XFkDmSd1S19VVCY1TK/tommee-tippee

This has confused me though as majority of customer reviews are really good and no mention of the water not being safe.

I'm currently pregnant with my first so no experience. Really undecided whether to get one now as they aren't cheap and don't want to waste money.

Any advice/opinions on this please?

Zoe1983 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:07:31

I work in healthcare around newborns and have seen lots with diarrhoea when parents have been using the Prep. As soon as I have recommended they go back to making up bottles the "traditional" way, the baby got better. Google perfect prep mould and you'll see why. They don't even use boiled water, so much won't kill bacteria. If you still decide to get one, I'd boil your water first.

Annaa123 Fri 10-Mar-17 13:26:16

Thank you for the reply, I had a feeling that would be the case, I think I would feel safer without it

Goldfishing Fri 10-Mar-17 13:59:58

If you keep it clean, there won't be a problem.

Bottles aren't meant to be made up with boiling water btw, it should be at least 70 degrees, but not boiling.

Annaa123 Fri 10-Mar-17 15:12:15

Goldfishing do you mean regularly changing the filter or giving it a full clean?

divadee Fri 10-Mar-17 15:33:38

We have the perfect prep and it is amazing for us. We use cooled boiled water to fill it up and have done research on it after what people have said and we were happy.

The watchdog story was a non story in my eyes. When the Dr said as much.

Do your research and make your decision based on that.

No diarrhoea here either.

MissJC Fri 10-Mar-17 15:48:10

I use the prep and it shoots a hot shot into the bottle before you add the formula thus killing the bacteria. The water is 70 degrees which is the optimal temp as any hotter can kill some nutrients in the milk whereas any cooler and your not killing the bacteria in the formula so its all swings and roundabouts.
If my baby shown any signs of diarrhoea I would of course bin the prep so all good up to now.
Maybe fill the prep with water thats cooled from the kettle?
Convenience wise its a god send, spesh for the night feeds.
Just make sure you have a spare filter in hand!

Littlelegs19 Fri 10-Mar-17 21:33:36

I wouldn't be without our machine, it's brilliant! I got it for £60 in mothercare with 20% back through quidco but would have been happy to pay the full price just for its convenience alone! I use cool boiled water to fill it up and take it apart about once a week and what can go in the dishwasher, does and what can't gets a good scrub. My DS is 4 months and has never had a bad tummy.

The way I think is if it was that unsafe it wouldn't allowed to be on sale.

welshweasel Fri 10-Mar-17 21:37:05

I did a lot of research into it (I'm a doctor and like evidence based stuff!) and concluded there was no issue. The filter that's used gets rid of all bacteria so there is no point in boiling the water. I always added the powder straight away (you get a minute I think to do it) to minimise risk of the water cooling down too much. DS was prem and I felt totally happy using it, and did, for almost a year!

QuackDuckQuack Fri 10-Mar-17 21:44:13

To be on the safe side we used readymade formula for the first few weeks when our baby was most vulnerable and we wanted an easy life. After that we used the Perfect Prep and were happy with the level of risk that went with using it. As with many things you have to weigh up the pros and cons of the options available.

Flowerydems Fri 10-Mar-17 21:48:35

We never had the perfect prep with ds 1 & 2 but got one for dd and it's bloody amazing compared to what we did before.

It's honestly the best thing ever! Dd hasn't had any problems at all with it, I think the machine is safe and I'm a very paranoid person

Annaa123 Sat 11-Mar-17 09:29:45

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better about it now smile it really does look convenient!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now