Talk

Advanced search

Hot blooded baby?

(27 Posts)
AutumnRose1988 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:14:23

My twins have co-bedded in a large cot since we brought them home. Our house is always 19.5-20 degrees day and night. I dressed them in sleepsuit, vest and then put two cellular blankets on them (growbags weren't possible as they both couldn't fit in cot with them on and they were far too small for them). They always, without fail, kicked the blankets off from about 8 weeks and slept soundly and have never cried because they are cold. They don't shiver or show any signs of their sleep being disrupted because they are cold. I rang the lullaby trust because I was worried that they would be cold and they said if they are sleeping and not shivering then they are happy with the temperature etc. They are now moving to separate cots as, over night, they are wiggling like mad and obviously it is now not safe for them to co-bed. I asked my friend what she puts her baby in because I now can use growbags etc. Her house at night is 20degrees and her baby is in sleepsuit, thick grow bag and he can cry for an extra blanket. At first I was surprised as I considered it excessive. Then I felt like I was depriving my children of adequate bedding! Are my babies hot blooded? Are some more prone to feeling the cold? My babies are perfectly healthy and have never had a sniffle or a day of illness (touch wood). I am so scared about them overheating and reluctant to bundle them up if they seem happy with less on. Does anyone out there have a hot blooded baby?

empirerecordsrocked Thu 09-Mar-17 18:16:20

My children seem oblivious to the cold. They're sweaty little beasts. There were kids going to school today in coats hats and scarfs and mine were in polo tops. They've always been like that.

I don't have a thermometer in their room but we've had to turn off the radiator as they were too hot.

AutumnRose1988 Thu 09-Mar-17 18:24:40

Thank goodness. Thank you for your reply.

I heard my friend saying how she bundles her 6 month old up and the idea of togging mine up for bed frightened me to death (SIDs etc).

FreedomMummy Thu 09-Mar-17 20:38:57

Kids are all different. I have a DD who has gone to bed in t-shirt and shorts and will kick her duvet off and a DS who has gone to bed in sleepsuit, fleece sleepsuit and will stay firmly under the duvet! You know your babies best and it sounds like you're doing a fab job.

ODog Thu 09-Mar-17 21:18:34

Mine are currently in sleepsuit/pjs with no vest. DD in a 2.5tog grobag and DS in a toddler bed with a cot duvet (low tog). No heating on and it's a cold old house but not sure of exact temp. They are fine. They have been in that all winter and never seemed cold.

Stripyclouds Thu 09-Mar-17 23:43:20

I was told by the midwife at the first visit to let baby sleep in footie pyjamas and no blanket on a flat sheer with no pillow and no blanket. So I did, even though I was cold myself. Baby has been toasty warm by every wake up and doesn't seem bothered at all.

When taking her out the first few times she was properly bundled up but like a boiled sausage when we came home, she didn't seem bothered by that either.

She's either a really easy baby (she isn't...) or babies tolerate a wider spectra of temperatures than adults. I really don't know smile

DramaAlpaca Thu 09-Mar-17 23:46:33

My youngest was always like this, from a baby right up to now in his late teens. He's the one in a t-shirt when everyone else is wrapped up, and he sleeps with just a thin blanket on him. He just doesn't seem to feel the cold.

Hellmouth Thu 09-Mar-17 23:49:19

I think the ideal temperature for babies is between 18-22 degrees. My HV says it's better for them to be slightly too cool than too warm. Like adults, though, some babies might prefer warmer or cooler rooms.

DS seems to like his room warm. The heating is on only in his room, medium temp, but he's in a sleepsuit, bodysuit and a grobag. I have noticed that if it gets a bit cool, he'll wake up more often.

P1nkSparkles Thu 09-Mar-17 23:58:41

The gro bags come with a little room thermometer that tells you how many layers to put under them depending on the layers.

I bought 1 & 2.5 tog ones - but only use the 1 tog (varying the layers underneath depending on the temp) & I have found them brilliant.

But your friend does sound a little excessive with the layers...

TheresABluebirdOnMyShoulder Fri 10-Mar-17 00:18:02

I am always surprised at the official recommendations RE how many layers to dress babies in for bed and how cool the room should be. It always seems like it would be on the chilly side to me. But I feel the cold and will often be shivering in PJs under the duvet while DH lies on top of the bedclothes in his boxers.

My DD has several sleeping bags of varying thickness and depending on which one she is in, I'll dress her differently. So in the thinnest one she will wear long PJs or a footed sleepsuit, whereas in the thickest one she will just wear a long sleeved vest. I think I'm probably guilty of bundling her up a little too much at times.

I don't think you're underdressing your DC for bed, it probably just seems a little bit cool to you but the official recommendations seem to be to keep them on the cold side. I'm led to believe that it's normal for their hands and feet to feel cool, but their chest and tummy should be warm. If their torso is cold, then they are not adequately dressed and/or the room is too cold.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Fri 10-Mar-17 00:26:51

My DS just wears either PJ's or babygrow and then a 2.5tog sleeping bag. No other blankets and the heating is never on in his room. He's always seemed fine.

I imagine whilst cobedding your twins would have been getting heat from each other too. I know when I'm in bed with DP I'm much warmer than when he's on nights and I'm alone. we sleep at opposite sides of the bed too so it's not like we're touching all night iyswim.

AutumnRose1988 Fri 10-Mar-17 05:21:28

Answers have been brilliant and really put my mind at ease. I've often heard about people using growbags and lots of blankets when the temp is just a degree or two less than our house and I couldn't seem to get fully confident with what my babies were going to bed in if that makes sense!

Going to try dropping the heating to 18.5 and have them in long sleeve sleepsuit, vest and 1 tog growbags.

Thank you all again-really helpful advice and insights xxx

Phillipa12 Fri 10-Mar-17 06:36:40

Same here, 1dc likes to wear thermals even in summer under a winter tog duvet, 2dc are like me pjs and a light duvet and my last dc only ever wore a fleece onsie even from around 3 months old with no blanket or sleepbag in the middle of winter and our heating went off overnight, he still prefers shorts and a tshirt in january!

Batteriesallgone Fri 10-Mar-17 06:44:21

Remember for a baby being too hot is much more dangerous than being too cold. So err on the cold side.

My DD is like this. My DS was too but not to the same extreme as DD. She will just wear a romper to bed even when her room drops below 18C. There's nothing wrong with her apparently she just runs hot.

She's only had two colds ever never any sickness (now 2yr) so hasn't done her any harm. She does suffer badly from teething though and apparently teething can cause a slight temperature so she could be mildly feverish more often than not.

Best to just roll with it. You know your babies.

BikeRunSki Fri 10-Mar-17 06:52:29

DD is like this. She's never liked bed covers, bathes in cold water, rarely wears a coat or tights. She is 5 now, sleeps just in a cotton jersey onesie, or vest and pants in the summer. She is rarely ill. Obviously made of stern stuff.

SharkBastard Fri 10-Mar-17 06:55:55

DD was and still is a sweaty Betty. I was told babies don't sweat but my daughter did, we co-slept but she had her own lightweight blanket, but more often than not she'd kick that off and just sleep peacefully in a vest!

She's 8 now and sleeps in just knickers or shorts, has the window open and usually kicks her duvet off. Some kids need extra some kids need less. Just have to listen to their needs

Oysterbabe Fri 10-Mar-17 08:50:06

My DD is a little furnace. Her room is about 20 degrees and she just sleeps in a sleepsuit otherwise she'd be a sweaty mess.

BikeRunSki Fri 10-Mar-17 08:55:53

DD has gone to school today in a summer dress and cardy! We compromised on long socks instead of ankle socks, and she is carrying a jacket.

CMOTDibbler Fri 10-Mar-17 09:00:24

My ds has always been a hot child and hated being wrapped up as a baby. At 10, he'd like to wear shorts all year round, and only wears a coat if its really cold. He only ever wears his polo shirt in school

OneSecondAfter Fri 10-Mar-17 14:39:39

20 degrees is a very reasonable temperature. At that temp my baby sleeps in a sleepsuit and nothing else and he's fine.

Below 20 he has a sleepsuit with babygro underneath.

marriednotdead Fri 10-Mar-17 19:41:12

It really is a case of whatever suits your DC.

Mine are adults now. DD has always felt the cold and rarely has bare arms or legs, even in the height of summer.
DS has been known to go out in a short sleeved tshirt in the middle of winter and refuses to have any heating in his bedroom.

kat088 Fri 10-Mar-17 22:05:38

there's a chart at the bottom of this page which has been helpful lanabambini.co.uk/store/sleeping-bag-guide/?___store=default

Tootsiepops Sun 12-Mar-17 21:16:01

My 15 month old is sleeping in a vest, pjs and a 2.5 tog grow bag. Her room is 20 degrees, going down to 17 degrees overnight.

If she's sleeping in beside me, she doesn't want her grow bag on, and she absolutely refuses any blankets or duvet. She also objects strongly to me being under the duvet as well. Little monster.

MuncheysMummy Mon 13-Mar-17 22:49:23

We have our heating set to 19c overnight so if it drops below that the heating kicks in and my DS (9 months tomorow) feels the cold so he sleeps in a long sleeved vest then a footed sleep suit and a 2.5 tog growbag. He is often cool to the touch in his face and neck and hands and ears but snug enough inside his clothes. He is never over warm though and in fact he was waking cold when he was only wearing a sleeveless vest hence upping to a long sleeved he seems quite happy now.

Caenea Tue 14-Mar-17 10:10:39

My 4 month old sleeps in a normal babygro - never bothered with sleepsuits. Then she has a 2.5 tog gro-bag. Any more than that and we get a midnight wake-up because she's too hot. All babies are different smile

And it's not warm in this house (1800s build with ZERO insulation). Mind you, both me and her Dad are "hot" people so she seems to be taking after us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now