Talk

Advanced search

4 year old sons party

(17 Posts)
Lotsofqueries Thu 09-Mar-17 18:03:46

Never done this before. Having a party for my 4 year old son. Hired a bouncy castle and a village hall. Going to serve hot dogs! Got 16 confirmed with 2 spare party bags. Is there anything else I need to do or get?

Supernothing22 Thu 09-Mar-17 20:02:44

Are you doing any games? Pass the parcel, musical chair type things, if so little you'll need little prizes.

Lots of drinks if you've got a bouncy castle as they do bounce themselves daft!

Don't forget birthday cake as well

thethoughtfox Thu 09-Mar-17 20:03:36

Your party sounds awesome. My dd is nearly 4 and would poop her pants with excitement at the sound of this. You could include some simple toys in the hall: balls, bats etc We were at a very simple party in a community centre with this kind of set up and the balls etc were really popular with the boys.

PoloZolo Thu 09-Mar-17 20:06:13

Cake!
Have fun, it sounds like a lovely party. Maybe some soft drinks for the adults?

Haggisfish Thu 09-Mar-17 20:08:09

Enough food for grown ups. Bin bags. Towels for spills!

WallisFrizz Thu 09-Mar-17 20:11:38

Vegetarian option?

More guests? 16 is not many for a village hall.

Someone willing to do face painting?

Tea/coffee/biscuits for the adults.

You need something else in addition to the bouncy castle even if it's just pass the parcel/musical chairs.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 09-Mar-17 20:14:41

Matches. Ask another adult if they can take charge of photos. I have a spare cake and cut it up before the party so you don't get distracted. How many can the bouncy castle take in one go?

Mehfruittea Thu 09-Mar-17 20:16:05

I made this mistake. blush no party bag for my DS. I didn't know he was supposed to get one too!!

Plenty to drink as they will get thirsty on that bouncy castle. Hugs of squash and water is cheapest way to go. If you get bottles/cartons then get some stickers too. Let kids choose a sticker for their drink so they know which one it is.

Balloons on a bouncy castle are ace and always go down well. Get at least 3 x the number of kids so there are no fights!

BikeRunSki Thu 09-Mar-17 20:17:27

How are you going to entertain the children after the novelty of the bouncy castle had worn off ? and those who hate them have stopped crying

nicknamehelp Thu 09-Mar-17 20:18:34

Bottle of wine chilling at home for

SheepyFun Thu 09-Mar-17 20:19:06

Just to warn you, 4 year olds are really bad losers (I found out the hard way). So if you go for musical chairs, I'm told that it works better if you tell the child who is out to come and help you spot who's last. It might mean fewer tears....

Lotsofqueries Thu 09-Mar-17 20:35:18

I've got a package with a bouncy castle, didi cars and ball pool. Some fantastic ideas here. Will take some extra bits like balls and maybe some outdoor ride on toys? Pedal tractor and crazy coupe? Sounds like I need more plastic cups for squash! Matches added to the list!! Wasn't planning on party games thinking I won't get them off the bouncy castle...

Elisheva Thu 09-Mar-17 20:49:54

Is there room for a quiet corner/table with some colouring or a craft? I've always had a Lego/brio corner, cordened off with chairs, for those who needs bit of quiet time.

BikeRunSki Fri 10-Mar-17 07:56:26

You need to be prepared for party games. Bouncy castles are not for everyone and something like Pass the Parcel will restore some calm. 4 is too young for extended unstructured play. If you bring a football, maybe a goal and rope in a dad or big brother to do penalties with them. A crafty table? With someone helping etc. One of the best parties DS had been to, they started by decorating plain white paper bags (with handles) which became their party bags. All prizes, sweets etc that came their way during the party went in the bags, cake and plastic tat added at the end. Cheap and simple, killed 15 mins at the start.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Fri 10-Mar-17 08:03:11

For games I recommend a parachute. There are loads of different variations of games- just Google. The advantage is- all the games are co operative so no sore losers!

Logoplanter Fri 10-Mar-17 16:44:13

Loads of balloons!!!

Take some small bags of haribo or similar and some music and you can easily play musical statues/bumps with the sweets as the prizes for kids as they get out.

From experience I doubt you'll need the above, but it's easy to take and won't cost much and if you don't use the sweets you can put them in the party bags or eat them yourself!

If you do pass the parcel it's a good idea to have 2 parcels going round as it keeps them more interested.

How long is the party?

I have to be honest Ds has gone to loads of parties that just have a bouncy castle and it's been fine so I think the other things are nice to have rather than necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now