Talk

Advanced search

DS Walking to School - Problems developing!

(9 Posts)
holly989blue Thu 09-Mar-17 12:38:00

So, I changed my hours at work (increased them) as my DS will be 10 soon. He agreed that he'd be happy to walk to school with our neighbour's son, whom he is friends with and who is a year or so older. All was going well; walking to and from school together and I arrive back just as they do. However, DS now no longer wants to walk with the boy as he says he goes in to school too early and he swears a lot. I agree, he does goes quite early and my son then hangs around the playground until his friends get there. I'd have thought the other boy would stay with him but DS says he goes off and meets his own pals. Anyway, I'm not there with them so don't know how accurate my DS's explanations are. All I want to know is what is the best solution. I can think of these:
Speak to the boy/his mum and ask him about it.
Let me son walk on his own (as he did today). It's a 20 min walk with crossing patrols at the 2 roads he needs to cross.
Give him money for the bus which stops outside our house.
I'd be interested in your opinion.

Trb17 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:24:29

I wouldn't speak to the other boys mum as it's not fair to ask her son to cater to yours. He should be able to go in early and meet friends if that's what he wants to do - plus he's older so that may be an issue to him.

I'd say speak to your son and see how he feels. The bus might be quite exciting for him or perhaps with an easy safe walk he'd rather do that if you think he's up to it.

ScarlettFreestone Thu 09-Mar-17 14:28:33

At 10 I'd let him walk alone if he's happy doing it. I'd also get him trained up on the bus in case he needs that as an option in bad weather.

I wouldn't speak to the other boy's Mum. He's been doing a kind thing letting your son tag along.

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 09-Mar-17 14:31:22

If he's happy to walk on his own, then I would go with that. Especially as road crossing is sorted.

Maybe leave bus fare for days when it's tipping down?

Astro55 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:35:32

Yes leave him some money in a wallet in his bag for the bus if he's wants to - plus go on the bus with him until he's confident (weekend)

If he's happy to walk let him

Does he have a phone?

Assume there are other kids around when he walks?

Or you could drop him to another friend who walks - a bit closer to school and he comes home by himself later

HarrietVane99 Thu 09-Mar-17 14:36:42

A twenty minute walk should be perfectly feasible for a ten year old. It's the kind of thing he should be doing, to build independence towards secondary school.

Maybe give him the bus fare and say it's up to him whether he spends it on the bus, or walks and buys a comic or saves it for something he wants? Also good practice in handling his own money.

The older boy shouldn't have to hang around with your son if he'd rather go off with his own friends. He's not a childminder.

notangelinajolie Thu 09-Mar-17 14:39:56

At 10, as long as it is a safe route and he is a sensible boy I'd let him walk to school alone. I presume if neighbours son is older he will be off to secondary school next year so your son will be one his own soon anyway. My DD walked to school when she was in year 6 and took an old nokkia of mine and texted me when she got to school.

I wouldn't speak to the boys mum, he's not responsible for your so and to be fair once they are at school it's job done.

I would tell your son's teacher that he walks to school on his own so that if he doesn't turn up an alarm can be raised.

holly989blue Sat 11-Mar-17 11:33:55

Thanks. Yes, he has my old Nokia too :-) He says he likes walking on his own and has done it for the last couple of days now. I asked the question as I'd had different advice from some friends and just wanted more opinions but I'm happy to let him walk on his own if he prefers. All good so far! At least it is light when he is walking. I may feel differently in the Winter.

JigglyTuff Sat 11-Mar-17 11:39:06

Well he's got lots of time to practice before it gets dark again and if he's happy to do it then that's great. Presumably he'll be nearly 11 by the time it gets dark smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now