Talk

Advanced search

Using dummies

(7 Posts)
SerialReJoiner Wed 08-Mar-17 20:55:11

My DS is 9 weeks old and breastfed, if that makes any difference. He's not my first, but I've never really used dummies. However, I'm seriously considering right now because I think it may help a bit during car journeys (he hates the school run) or while I'm making dinner.

But all the sterilising and keeping track of yet another baby item (I'm constantly losing socks, hats, blankets, etc!) kind of puts me off. Will I regret it?

chloechloe Thu 09-Mar-17 11:34:52

I'm an advocate of using dummies for sleep and circumstances where you can't for whatever reason soothe the child (e.g. when driving) so I would go for it. Sterilizing isn't an issue - just buy a load once you've found one the baby will take (if at all) then round them all up every few days and wash in warm soapy water and boil them in a pan. Easy.

I can't stand it when babies are given dummies just to shut then up though. 1 have a 23mo and a 3mo and put the baby in the carrier to go go to sleep whilst I'm cooking.

Loveabath Thu 09-Mar-17 11:43:15

I would say, you won't regret it.

I find them a life saver in the car.

However, just buy loads, they always go missing, and turn up eventually. I put sterilised dummies in various sterilised pots in handbags, coat pockets, change bag, next to the bed etc. So always one handy.

If you are worried about sterilising, just pop some in a bowl when you boil the kettle, or get a Milton dummy steriliser (not used one, personally, but look helpful!)

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Mar-17 11:54:09

Dummies are AMAZING

If you don't have realistic expectations, you may regret it. Realistic expectations are:

- when baby is calm and relaxed (awake or asleep), the jaw muscles will relax and the dummy falls out. It's meant to. Dummy isn't meant to stay in baby's mouth all the time when asleep, only in the process of getting to sleep.

- since dummy will fall out. If baby wakes, you'll need to reinsert it for baby. Babies don't have the manual dexterity to do this themself until about 8-10 months.

- reinserting dummy will not stop a hungry baby needing a feed. If "dummy won't do", baby probably needs a feed.

- dummy doesn't stop baby being a light or deep sleeper. That is a separate issue
They just help with getting off to sleep.

- careful on over reliance on dummies. I love dummies but (like very many people) I'll just a toddler playing at playgroup with a dummy in their mouth. My view is free use of dummy for first 6 months, reducing to only in-cot use by 12 months old.

FATEdestiny Thu 09-Mar-17 11:55:21

Judge* a toddler...

SerialReJoiner Thu 09-Mar-17 13:20:02

Thanks! Very helpful. Have bought those cherry soothers as they were cheap but there are a lot of shapes and sizes, eh?

ODog Fri 10-Mar-17 20:15:58

I've ebf 2 babies. Dummies are fab. DS was proper addicted and getting it off him at 2.5 was absolutely fine. DD still has hers. Worlds best invention imo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now