Talk

Advanced search

Lack of appetite when breastfeeding?

(4 Posts)
crazypenguinlady Wed 08-Mar-17 20:41:41

Sorry wasn't sure where to post this. DS1 is 8 days old. He was in SCBU for the first few days of his life but is better now (chest infection ) as a result, breastfeeding was strongly encouraged. He's a natural and we established latching etc within a few days. All going well so far except I have zero appetite. I don't really want to eat except for snacks, toast, etc. I know I need to eat to keep my strength up while breastfeeding and I have very low iron. Is it normal to have no appetite? Will it improve?

ElspethFlashman Wed 08-Mar-17 20:45:34

Oh yes I had this. I had everyone banging on at me to eat but I wasn't remotely hungry. I drank lots of milky tea and didn't seem to need much else.

Though obviously I had the common sense to at least eat a sandwich at mealtimes as I knew my body needed fuel.

But it passed and my appetite did go back to normal.

christinarossetti Wed 08-Mar-17 20:50:35

I had this with all of my babies. I think it's stress/anxiety/hormones. Maybe they affect people in different ways because I never really felt 'ravenous' when bf-ing.

Keep your fluid intake up, keep snacking and get some Spatone for iron.

CobsAhoy Wed 08-Mar-17 21:00:20

I had this at first, it came back at about 5ish weeks I think, I presumed it's because you are psychologically and physically in shock after labour and the first few weeks of having a baby! Congratulations on your new baby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now