Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Good CD player for a 4 year old?

(9 Posts)
minipie Tue 07-Mar-17 13:41:18

I'm looking for a portable CD player that DD can easily operate by herself. Mainly for listening to audio books in the evening/morning but also for playing music and dancing around.

Definitely needs to be mains powered as she won't always turn it off (esp if she falls asleep obviously). It would be good if it takes headphones for journeys. Needs to be quite robust as she has coordination issues and is likely to drop it, plus we have a 2 year old.

Any recommendations much appreciated!

seefeld Tue 07-Mar-17 19:38:13

I'm looking for something like this for my DS so watching with interest.

minipie Wed 08-Mar-17 00:36:15

Bump...!

Dothehokeykokey Wed 08-Mar-17 00:49:04

Why a CD player over an MP3 player/tablet/streaming device. I don't know any kids under 15 who even know what a cd is

minipie Wed 08-Mar-17 08:47:41

Fair point hokey. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to tech grin

I don't want her having a tablet at this age but I guess an MP3 player could be ok - if it was a very very simple one. If she had a device with lots of menus/icons/games she'll get distracted and play around with those (and she can't read yet so probably will get lost in the menus or break it) whereas I want her to just lie down and listen to the story. So I suppose I was thinking CD player for the simplicity aspect. Though an MP3 player would be better in the longer term.

Do you know of any very very simple mp3 players?

thethoughtfox Wed 08-Mar-17 12:51:29

The one from the Early Learning Centre is good. It comes with two microphones which are rubbish but is easy to operate and sturdy. Ours is still going after a year and a half. The previous one only died because dd poured orange juice in it but she was only 2 at the time.

I would love a recommendation for a child friendly iplayer type thing.

christinarossetti Wed 08-Mar-17 13:05:29

My children have slightly older models of this Philips radio/cd player in their bedrooms. I bought them for audiobooks when they were a similar age to your dd.

www.argos.co.uk/product/5717075

Ours have headphones sockets in. They're sturdy and robust, impossible to mislay or lose (unlike MP3 players), easy to transport, have good sounds quality and are simple to use.

It's still perfectly possible to get excellent CDs for children!

RiverdaleJughead Wed 08-Mar-17 13:09:08

They still make walkmans? I have my old CD player but I've had that yeaaaars

minipie Wed 08-Mar-17 14:30:23

Thanks all

christina I found that one but the updated version doesn't seem to have a headphone socket. very annoying! I've found something fairly similar which does though.

I will check out the ELC one but the microphone would probably be a huge distraction for DD (and she wakes early so we'd be treated to karaoke at 5.30am!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now