Talk

Advanced search

Urgent - Help me understand this sensitive situation for my 5 yr old

(13 Posts)
giftedmyass Tue 07-Mar-17 10:57:40

Hi there, Needed help in understanding this situation for my 5.5 year old daughter. She went to stay (without us) with family friends over the weekend for couple of hours. When we picked her up she seemed happy, playing with other kids but was tired (She had woken up early and had a long travel).

She wanted to go for toilet but was tired in the car and slept. When we tried to wake her up at home for toilet, she started crying a lot ... non stop (unlike her) and said her wee wee hurts, she can't go to toilet. Important to say here - she doesn't drink water, specially when outside. But because she was crying and saying her wee wee hurts, we asked how did that happen, why it hurts? She said another child (boy, 7) hurt her with her foot. After a while, I did gently ask her if someone broker her underpants rule (she is very well ware of it) and she said no, no one did. She went to bed then.

Morning, she was fine ... I asked her very gently if her wee wee still hurts, she said no. Went to toilet all fine, etc. went to school all normal. Evening she did say her wee wee hurts, She also had trouble going potty (specially because constipated). She said again the boy hit her, I asked her by hand or foot. She showed me by standing up and kicking by foot. She said no one broke her underpants rule.

Now, It has been 2 days and she says it hurts sometime going to toilet. She is constipated too. Should I leave it or is it something I am missing ... I want to be there for her as she is only little. Help me in understanding this situation? What should I do ... we maybe seeing this family again soon. I have nothing against the boy so please don't come after me for this. I just want guidance for my daughter.

giftedmyass Tue 07-Mar-17 12:02:59

Any thoughts?

PinkDaffodil2 Tue 07-Mar-17 12:21:35

Sorry I'm missing the bulk of your post - I'm sure someone will be along soon to discuss your other concerns and how to deal with the other child / family. However, it sounds like she could have a UTI - they are more likely if children are constipated / dehydrated and cause pain when passing urine. I'd certainly get her to the GP (they want a urine sample probably) to see if this is the case as may need antibiotics.

FATEdestiny Tue 07-Mar-17 12:31:57

If she doesn't drink much, and add in constipated too, I wouodcsuggest urine infection.

I think you can give regular cystitis sachets to children, but check on the lack because I'm not certain. Otherwise, get a GO appointment and take a urine sample for her, if possible.

FATEdestiny Tue 07-Mar-17 12:32:07

GP*

giftedmyass Tue 07-Mar-17 12:36:56

Thank you so much. I will get a GP appointment soon. I was just worried that I am not missing any signs or things she want to tell me. Poor her ... GP it is ...

FATEdestiny Tue 07-Mar-17 12:41:21

I think as an initial conclusion to jump to, you are probably over reacting. If she has no urine infection (I think the GP can do a stick rest there and then to confirm an infection or not), then start considering other reasons for the pain.

Urine infections are an awful, horrible pain. I feel sympathy for her if she does have one.

mouldycheesefan Tue 07-Mar-17 12:41:24

Oh bless her why in earth have you waits to take her to the gp? Poor little girl, hurting for days!

lougle Tue 07-Mar-17 12:47:07

If she is constipated then it will be hard to pass urine because the poo will be pressing against her bladder and her urethra. You need to relieve the constipation. It isn't necessarily the case that she has an infection, although it is possible.

You can encourage her to drink well, including apple juice. You can increase the fibre in her diet, too. Or you could go to the chemist and get a mild laxative.

It sounds like she was kicked. It doesn't sound sinister. Do you have concerns?

giftedmyass Tue 07-Mar-17 13:18:21

Thanks all. After reading all your comments I believe it is mild urine infection. She did do potty this morning and said she felt better. I will increase fibre and water intake and take her to GP.

I don't have any concerns but she did repeatedly said she was kicked in the wee wee with foot and even showed me how twice. Seems like she was hurt.

steppemum Tue 07-Mar-17 13:58:53

I think that she was probably kicked by the boy and is a bit bruised. Poor thing. But it may not have been intentional from the boy, and it may have been dealt with (boy apologised etc)

Or it could be infection/constipation. Either way, I doesn't sound sinister as lougle said.

StarUtopia Tue 07-Mar-17 14:15:51

Doesn't sound sinister, but if it were me, I'd go over to the other house and ask the boy directly what happened (obviously make it lighthearted)

He's 7. Not 3!

Just be direct. Say you're concerned to hear that he may have 'accidentally ' hurt your DD by kicking her, can he explain? Just your DD is only 4 and you're not sure you understood her properly. You'll be able to tell a lot by his reaction. Obviously as well, ask him, Did he apologise etc etc.

giftedmyass Tue 07-Mar-17 16:28:26

ok I have a GP appointment in 20 mins so will come back with what he said. Based on that will take next steps ... She is just her usual happy self now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now