Talk

Advanced search

Newborn highchairs

(42 Posts)
lozel Tue 07-Mar-17 10:19:56

I'm looking for a high chair suitable from birth. I was originally looking at the ickle bubba orb but have seen a lot of poor reviews. Am now looking at the Chicco Polly Progress and the Bloom Fresco. Any recommendations? Either these or others?

DappledThings Tue 07-Mar-17 13:56:59

You can get high chairs suitable from birth? I've never heard of something like that but I would have thought waiting till they can sit up and are ready for food at 6 months would be best. Then you just get the good old Ikea Altrop one for £15!

PIL bought a Mamas and Papas one that reclines in 3 positions for about £60 which might be similar to what you're looking at and it's useless, none of the 3 positions are fully upright so it's not suitable for actually eating in

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 07-Mar-17 13:58:34

Stokke tripp trapp with newborn insert

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 07-Mar-17 13:59:42

I've just googled to see what possible use a high chair would be from birth, and Ickle Bubba (horrendous name) Orb is suitable from six months, not newborn.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 07-Mar-17 14:01:16

And Bloom Fresco is £399 shock <dies>

ReginaGeorgeinSheepsClothing Tue 07-Mar-17 14:03:49

Fuxk a duck! £399 for a high chair?? I've the tripptrapp but didn't get insert as afair it's another £90??

Eminybob Tue 07-Mar-17 14:48:24

Why would you need a high chair from birth? Am I missing something?

monniemae Tue 07-Mar-17 14:52:45

We have used a stokke Tripp trapp with newborn attachment for both kids, and then sold the Newborn bit

newmumwithquestions Tue 07-Mar-17 14:54:48

Why from birth? I don't think any are?

For a highchair Ikea antilop (with the blow up cushion) all the way!

ShowOfHands Tue 07-Mar-17 14:54:48

Does your newborn attend a lot of dinner parties?

TenThousandSpoons Tue 07-Mar-17 14:54:48

Bouncy chair from a few weeks then high chair to eat in from 6 months.

welshweasel Tue 07-Mar-17 14:54:58

Get a bouncy chair and put it on the table? Then get an IKEA highchair when you start weaning. Struggling to see what you'd use a newborn highchair for...

emsyj37 Tue 07-Mar-17 14:55:40

I've got the Stokke. DS enjoys sitting up where he can see us at dinner time. It was a bit of a lavish purchase but the newborn attachment has good resale value.

MissSueFlay Tue 07-Mar-17 15:01:29

We have a Stokke Tripp Trapp chair for DD - we had the Newborn Set for the first 5 months, then the Baby Set which turns it into a highchair when they can sit up on their own.

I really liked the Newborn seat because it had her safely raised up so I could talk to her while I was cooking etc. and she could see what was going on a bit more. I never liked the idea of putting the bouncy chair on the table, always kept it on the floor.

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 07-Mar-17 15:20:59

I see what I'm missing now. When I had a newborn I didn't do any cooking or eating.

user1485196412 Tue 07-Mar-17 15:25:13

I couldn't bring myself to buy anything called 'Ickle Bubba'. (Misses point...)

2014newme Tue 07-Mar-17 15:25:17

Don't put bouncy chairs on tables or chairs

lozel Tue 07-Mar-17 16:15:44

I live in a 3 storey house and the living room is on the second floor so if I need to do something downstairs the chair will be useful rather than having to put her in her pram. The from newborn ones recline right back so they aren't sitting up which clearly wouldn't be suitable! So no, not for dinner parties ...

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 07-Mar-17 16:18:33

Just use a bouncy chair on the floor, make sure she's strapped in properly. Newborns don't really go walkabout. Or stick her in her cot with a mobile going.

lozel Tue 07-Mar-17 16:18:50

Bouncy chair on the floor downstairs isn't suitable for me as I have 2 dogs so need her elevated. She has her chair in the living room away from the dogs. Thanks to those who've shared their experience

peaceloveandbiscuits Tue 07-Mar-17 16:19:57

Ahh, I wondered if dogs was the issue. You mustn't leave the dogs alone with the baby even if she is elevated.

Willow2017 Tue 07-Mar-17 16:52:17

Please don't leave her with the dogs even in a high chair.

lozel Tue 07-Mar-17 16:55:54

At no point have I said I would be leaving her with the dogs ... I'm an experienced dog owner, I'm not daft. I want her in the chair so I can do things downstairs with her with me ...

I simply wondered if anyone had recommendations in regards to the chairs not if people think I'm right or wrong wanting to buy one

WaitrosePigeon Tue 07-Mar-17 16:56:48

Tripp Trapp with newborn insert. It was very good.

bloodyteenagers Tue 07-Mar-17 16:58:24

I know pregnancy brain really does mess you up.
Think about it. You are wanting to leave a child in a chair that's elevated. In a room with dogs. What happens if the baby makes a noise and dogs jump up as they do? The high chair falls over. Hopefully it wouldn't, but always think worse case scenarios.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now