Talk

Advanced search

Different winding techniques

(6 Posts)
batch74 Mon 06-Mar-17 22:46:40

My DS will be 5 weeks this week and I'm struggling to wind him. He's formula fed due to him not being able to latch on after correction of his tongue tie. He eats well but seems to struggle with being winded - it can take me 20 minutes or more to actually get any up. If I stop trying he gets really unsettled. I've tried putting him on my shoulder and also tried him in a sitting position but nothing really works.
I've started to use infracol today, first time he winded quickly but second time was just like normal.
Does anybody have any additional tips? X

notanothernamechangebabes Mon 06-Mar-17 23:02:11

Stick with the Infacol- and use it every feed. It takes a few days to work.

Try putting him on your shoulder and walking around.

Make sure you're patting to the side of the spine- and not the middle.

Try rubbing firmly from the bottom of the back upwards with a slightly cupped hand. Work upwards with circular movements too.

Lie baby face down on your legs (look for a pic on the internet)- and rub back. Be warned this may cause DC to vomit.

Try lying baby on your chest for a cuddle, and gently rub their back.

Lift baby up to your partner and pass across - often the lifting movement brings up wind.

Also - remember it gets easier as their little bodies grow. DS had awful trapped wind for the first 3 months and would only fart- almost impossible to burp. Used to scream and cry for hours. Infacol was our saving grace, and once that made a difference, the winding techniques just made life so much easier.

Now he burps himself (he's 24 weeks)... and today laughed at his own burp for the first time.

Heirhelp Tue 07-Mar-17 09:47:08

I personally would ditch the infacol and get boots gripe mixture and a syringe.

My lo had reflux and tt. In the end we had a whole dance routine to the Hokey Cokey to get her wind up.

I found no one technique was good but that I had to use a combination. Anything which jiggles them around is good.

chloechloe Tue 07-Mar-17 11:49:40

Are you holding him high up over your shoulder - with his armpits on your shoulder and arms hanging down your back.

Going up the stairs also helps or going from sitting to standing.

minipie Tue 07-Mar-17 12:05:55

Mine were both terrible for wind.

Going up the stairs helps yes. Google tiger in the tree which helps if they have trapped wind later.

I found the most effective thing was laying them down for a minute or two (nappy change length of time) and then sitting upright. Usually brought out a good burp when all else fails. Not advisable if they have reflux though.

It will get easier. By 8 weeks it was noticeably easier, then kept on getting easier from then until they just burp by themselves.

batch74 Tue 07-Mar-17 14:15:54

Thanks everyone. I'll try them and let you know how it goes.
He has reflux a lot so I'll steer clear of laying him down and over the knee but there's loads of other ideas you've given me. Thankyou!
Fingers crossed!!! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now