Talk

Advanced search

What age can I leave older sibling to baby sit younger sibling?

(5 Posts)
Lovemusic33 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:21:03

Dd1 is 13, dd2 11, dd2 has ASD.
Is dd1 too young to leave in charge of her sister for a couple hours in the evening? I leave dd1 alone quite a lot and she's sensible, she has a mobile phone and knows she can knock on the neighbours door in an emergency.

SeeMyVest Mon 06-Mar-17 17:22:32

I don't think anyone but you can answer this question as it really is all down to attitudes of both the DC.
Have you mentioned the possibility to DD2?

Hoppinggreen Mon 06-Mar-17 17:23:51

I have a friend in safeguarding and we were discussing this the other day.
Apparently there is no minimum age to leave a child but if anything happens you could be prosecuted for leaving ANY child under 16 without an adult.
Ultimately it's up to you but I probably wouldn't leave a 13 year old in charge of an 11 with Sen

RebelRogue Mon 06-Mar-17 17:27:33

It depends very much how the ASD affect dd2,if she would listen to dd1 etc.
Also if dd1 would be happy to be in charge,and ultimately responsible for dd2 and her safety and wellbeing.

Lovemusic33 Mon 06-Mar-17 17:38:16

It's hard to explain dd2's ASD, her communication isn't great but dd1 communicates well with her (better than anyone else), my house has been made a safe place for dd2 and she doesn't have access to the kitchen or main bathroom. Most evenings she just plays in her room and puts herself to bed at 8.30pm (she is medicated but I put this in her drink so dd1 wouldn't have to give her med's). I would be quite close by so could get back in 5 minutes if dd1 called me.

My family think I'm crazy considering it but they don't want to help me out with childcare (they will help occasionally but they moan about it).

I'm not sure if 13 is too young to be in charge of a child with ASD even though dd2 can be easier to look after than a regular 11 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now