Talk

Advanced search

Bf - can i have a small glass of wine at meal?

(17 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Mon 06-Mar-17 15:33:03

I don't express very well at all and find it rather stressful so if I cannot have wine I would go without.

I rarely drink but as it's my birthday I would like one at meal in a bit! Just a small one?

Thanks all!

ElspethFlashman Mon 06-Mar-17 15:34:28

Of course. If you couldn't drink whilst BFing nobody would do it!

Scrowy Mon 06-Mar-17 15:34:30

It's fine!

sleepyhead Mon 06-Mar-17 15:34:38

Alcohol leaves breastmilk at the same rate as it leaves your blood stream, so yes you can. No need to pump and dump - by the time you're legal to drive you'd be fine to feed (and before if you're not going mad, but if you want to be cautious you could use the driving limits as a rule of thumb).

SerialCerealKiller Mon 06-Mar-17 15:35:31

Of course!
There's not been a huge amount of research in to drinking while feeding but the limited things I have read have shown barely any alcohol is in your milk.

The only thing you really need to think about is handling your baby while tipsy, or co sleeping.

Boosiehs Mon 06-Mar-17 15:35:42

Of course! Ideally drink just after feeding. (or during but you get some funny looks).

;-)

PlumFairy2014 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:36:14

How old is your little one?

When DD was tiny I didn't as I was too concerned about co-sleeping while tipsy. (One glass is enough for me!) As she got older (in her own bed) I relaxed about it and tried to leave it a while before feeding her afterwards. and now I actually miss breastfeeding

NotCitrus Mon 06-Mar-17 15:57:34

Drink and enjoy!
As mine got older, bfing was a good opportunity to enjoy a good glass of wine - wouldn't reach the milk for that feed, alcohol would be gone by the next one.

OrlandoTheCat Mon 06-Mar-17 16:01:18

I used to drink a glass or two of red wine WHILST breastfeeding....it was a lovely evening ritual!

Best time to have alcohol is as you're BF I believe, as it hasn't had time to reach your milk

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Mon 06-Mar-17 16:04:49

YEEeS! Thank you!

ImYourMama Mon 06-Mar-17 16:08:46

Sunday dinner yesterday and I was BF'ing DD with one arm and sipping a large vino with the other wine enjoy!

MyCatLikesToSitInBoxes Mon 06-Mar-17 16:08:54

Enjoy it! wine

Trifleorbust Mon 06-Mar-17 16:24:24

I freely have a couple of glasses and don't worry about it.

Uiscebeatha85 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:58:14

^
Me too! Enjoy OP

waterrat Mon 06-Mar-17 20:06:09

It's not like pregnancy. the alcohol is massively diluted before reaching your milk. I drank to get through the pain of BF in first weeks ! Drink away @

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Mon 06-Mar-17 20:28:59

Thanks everyone! I had a couple of small glasses and feel renewed ha!

WombOfOnesOwn Mon 06-Mar-17 22:02:03

If you got so drunk that you would need hospitalization and be in a coma, teetering on the edge of life and death, your blood and breastmilk would be about .5% alcohol by volume -- 1 part in 200.

Orange juice (indeed, any juice at all!) and fresh bread both have more alcohol than .5%. And remember, that's the amount in your milk if you're literally dying of alcohol poisoning.

The long and short of it is -- drink, and drink however much you like, as long as you're not doing it constantly. You're much more likely to hurt yourself with excessive alcohol consumption (or hurt someone else by getting into the driver's seat drunk) than you are to harm your baby via breastmilk with a "twist."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now