Talk

Advanced search

5 year old waking at night

(8 Posts)
champagneplanet Mon 06-Mar-17 13:15:41

DD (almost 6) for the last few months has been waking at night. Previously has always been a brilliant sleeper from a very young age, apart from the odd night here and there (we have been very lucky I know).

Basically she wakes and shouts for a drink, toilet (completely acceptable), or if even if she has kicked off her quilt. Won't entertain DH, wants me always. Last night was about four times. I've tried an extra blanket to make the quilt heavier, different pj's, a stern talking to, a nice talking to, blackout blind up/blind down, bathroom light on, but nothing seems to work. She goes to sleep straight away afterwards which is a blessing, but I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and getting up and down several times per night is becoming a struggle!

Does anyone have any advice/experienced this or could this just be a phase?

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 06-Mar-17 15:54:18

She's old enough to manage her own quilt surely? You could also leave her a lidded cup of water, or a sports lid bottle so she can get a drink for herself.

I might consider using a reward chart for this. So make it clear that she isn't to call you in the night for anything other than going to the toilet. I would also make it clear that it could be DP that goes to her in the night too. You can decide on a suitable reward for if she manages x number of nights, whatever you think suitable.

It may well be related to the upcoming arrival of her baby sibling, and she may be regressing slightly. You could look at lots of reassurance in the daytime to counter that somewhat.

PotteringAlong Mon 06-Mar-17 15:58:10

It's a phase because of the new baby. I would expect it to last past the new sibling arriving for a bit.

Wolfiefan Mon 06-Mar-17 15:59:45

You say go to bed.
Or go to the toilet then go to bed.
You don't engage. At all.

champagneplanet Mon 06-Mar-17 17:07:02

A reward chart is a great idea, thank you.

I'm unsure if it's linked to the new baby, not in the early days at least as we only told her at Christmas time. I don't engage, the drink is next to her and she's more than capable (and had previously) took herself to the toilet alone. I feel like it's a control thing, she's usually very good during the daytime behaviour wise.

Believeitornot Mon 06-Mar-17 19:50:19

I doubt she deliberately wakes up on purpose but once she's awake she can't settle. If you're asleep it's hard to make yourself wake up for attention.

Anyway, it could be that she's feeling unsettled and scared of the dark when she does wake. My 5 year old and 7 year old both go through phases of bad dreams and waking at night etc.

Best thing is to make sure they get plenty of exercise in the day with fresh air and keep their rooms cool for bedtime (with an extra cover instead of having the heating on too high). They sleep better that way.

CatAstronaut Mon 06-Mar-17 19:52:58

Just because you only told her about the pregnancy at Christmas doesn't mean she didn't sense something and is just after some extra reassurence. Pregnancy and new babies are often times when older children regress a little so that they feel they are looked after and babied.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 06-Mar-17 19:58:00

Dm will now be too tired for activities /shops for treats so straight home /no TV just quiet time as dm too tired etc. Repercussions to your disturbed night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now