Talk

Advanced search

Baby poo..

(15 Posts)
Iinventedpostits Mon 06-Mar-17 12:59:23

Sorry for the blunt title! I've been weaning my 6 month old DD for about a month now and her poo has been small to non existent since. It tends to be little nuggets more than anything, although she had a bit of an explosion on Saturday which was the last time she has had a dirty nappy. We have done what we can to increase her water intake but she is quite fussy with it, we've been adding water into her food and for snacks making sure it's things like cucumber, we've tried bycicle legs, massaging her tummy but NOTHING is working. Her tummy isn't swollen or hard and she doesn't seem in any drastic discomfort. Any suggestions for how I can get things moving for her would be greatly appreciated!

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 06-Mar-17 13:06:24

If she isn't showing any signs of constipation then I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll settle down soon I'm sure.

newroundhere Mon 06-Mar-17 13:10:02

Have you tried prunes or dried apricots? Worked for us but DS was clearly uncomfortable and straining. When we started weaning it really slowed the poo down - he went from pooing multiple times a day to once a day maximum.

amysmummy12345 Mon 06-Mar-17 13:13:22

We've had similar, I've got lactulose for emergencies, as long as she's not in pain I wouldn't be too worried...

Iinventedpostits Mon 06-Mar-17 13:46:10

Thank you for your replies! We haven't tried prunes or apricots so we will give that a go smile

mimiholls Mon 06-Mar-17 20:12:54

Ella's kitchen do prune pouches. Also fresh orange works really well.

StarSpotter Mon 06-Mar-17 20:16:17

I second dried apricots. Just one cut up used to do the trick here!

DappledThings Mon 06-Mar-17 22:17:35

Kiwi fruit is the winner for us, that was HV's top tip

PonderLand Mon 06-Mar-17 22:36:04

My DS (8m) goes every 5-9 days. The only thing that makes him go is fresh orange juice, I think it's not recommended due to the citrus but it's the only thing that helps him.
Lentils are good for it I've heard and pears, prunes. Avoid bananas at all cost!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 06-Mar-17 22:39:33

5-9 days shock um.. I'm not sure that's OK. In a BF baby, yes, but not once on solids.

But.. mine was the opposite and went 3 or 4 times a day at that age hmm
Mind you, he did eat a shit load of tomatoes and the odd onion bhaji

PonderLand Tue 07-Mar-17 09:06:52

Sher. He got prescribed movicol but won't drink it. He's not weaned yet either, this all started when he was 4/5m if I remember correctly.

highinthesky Tue 07-Mar-17 09:14:53

I second the kiwi fruit and also satsuma. Grated carrot works too.

All are highly visible in baby poo so useful in measuring GI transit time (mouth to nappy). The downside is the odd explosion.

ineedwine99 Tue 07-Mar-17 09:27:39

I found prune or pea puree helped. Any tips on drinking more though would be appreciated as mine won't take water either, tried adding a drop of sugar free squash or fruit juice and still won't take it, i have to put it in a syringe and squirt it into her mouth when it's open, tried it in her usual bottle and also a tommee tippee no spill sippy cup with and without the no spill vent

minipie Tue 07-Mar-17 14:43:01

Little nuggets is a sign of constipation I believe. Especially if followed by an explosion, that does suggest things aren't moving like they should be.

Perhaps the weaning has moved a bit too quickly, you might need to slow it down a bit - maybe give milk before food so she's less hungry for the food?

Foods which help move things - pear, prunes, peach, peas. All the Ps. Apricots too. Avoid bananas and anything with wheat (bread, pasta, rusks etc).

Iinventedpostits Thu 09-Mar-17 16:20:36

Thank you everyone for your replies! Not sure what we did but things are back on track again smile It is absolutely vile but at least something happening! Haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now