We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anxious about child going on trip for 2 nights with school

(18 Posts)
samanthajayne17 Sat 04-Mar-17 17:14:40

My daughter is 10 and in year 6. Shes going on a school trip with her school on Monday to Wednesday to the Lake District Ghyll head And I'm very anxious. I let her go because I never did these things as a child because my mum was over protective and controlling make never had the money anyway but this trip is not £40 so we have it for her to go but I'm just so worried like different things going through my head. I know it will be a good opportunity for her but how do you rest on the days she's there?

staghunter Sat 04-Mar-17 17:17:54

Well done for letting her go! I think everyone worries , but it will be fine and next time will be easier.

BarbarianMum Sat 04-Mar-17 20:40:02

Although not quite as anxious as you, I struggle with this too. flowers Two things that may comfort you. Firstly, I always found the build up to a trip much worse than the period when they were away, which passes fairly quickly. Secondly, importantly, it gets better with practise - I am almost blase about my sons (11 and 9) doing a sleepover with friends these days and have even survived a couple of weekend cub camps. Ds1 has his Y6 trip coming up and I am fine with it at the moment (although I will start to stress in the week running up to it) and will bed, so happy when he's safe home again. smile

TapStepBallChange Sat 04-Mar-17 20:44:53

I did almost exactly the same trip when I was her age, except it was in February. I'm in my 40s and I still remember it. It was amazing. I did so many different things. Completing the abseiling with a fear of heights thanks to the lovely staff is still a great memory. As a parent, all you can do is keep in mind what an amazing time she will be having. Given modern technology the school can always get in touch with you if necessary, and look forward to all the excited chat about it once she's home, but she might need a nap first. Still remember DD taking herself off for a nap after the first brownie camp.

samanthajayne17 Sun 05-Mar-17 15:45:11

Thanks everyone
I am just going to have to keep busy so I don't stress and think the worst. Lol
I'm sure she will have lots of things to tell me as welll. She's allowed to take a disposable camera with her so will have to buy one and try find where I can get one from. I'm sure she will be taking lots of strange pics lol

RiverdaleJughead Sun 05-Mar-17 15:46:31

I went for a week aged 10 on residential and had THE BEST time x it's amazing well done for not making her miss out - stories still occasionally come up now and we're 22!

tribpot Sun 05-Mar-17 15:49:59

It's always very odd when they're away. The kids tend to be kept so busy having fun they don't have time to miss their parents but we on the other hand wander around the house at a loss.

Our school tweets loads of news and photos from the trips away. If your school does the same, you don't need to have a Twitter account to look at them, just go to the school's Twitter home page. They also kept us up-to-date via text.

It's horrid for you but really important for you and her. Hope she has an amazing time.

Sittinginthesun Sun 05-Mar-17 15:53:10

The key thing for you to do is to keep busy. When my ds is away (he's year 8 and has now done three residential trips, plus a couple of city/football breaks with DH), I spend the day he's due back giving his room a really good, deep clean.

uhoh2016 Sun 05-Mar-17 20:20:09

Does your school have the dojo app?? My ds went to PGL in yr4 for 2 nights. The teachers sent regular updates and photos of what they were up to it was much welcomed by all the parents. All the children were absolutely fine and enjoyed spending time with their friends. They were too busy and tired out with the activities going on to worry about home.

samanthajayne17 Tue 07-Mar-17 22:15:13

So my daughter went on her trip Monday. She's back tomorrow. I've been ok. I found it strange though because I keep getting 4 plates out for my children's tea instead of 3 lol. I just hope she can pack her suitcase properly so everything fits in like it did when I packed it for her. It will be nice to hear about all her activities.

tribpot Tue 07-Mar-17 22:16:14

Glad you've got through it okay! Hope she's had an amazing time.

Loopytiles Tue 07-Mar-17 22:17:42

It's just anxiety but is hard, really nice when they come back!

samanthajayne17 Wed 08-Mar-17 21:49:34

I'm a bit worried. I don't know if this is normal after a trip. But I picked her up and she came off the coach and got her bag but wasn't talkative. She was very quiet. I asked her teacher if there was a Problem and she said 'she's just woke up, she was sleeping in the coach' so I left it at that. I come home and she goes to her bed. I ask her if everything is ok, asked about her time away and she said it was fine. I asked her why does she seem sad and she said it's because her friend is going to a different high school than her and she won't see her again. ( she's known this for a while though so why is she upset all of a sudden after her trip) And she was crying. I asked her if there was anything else and she said no. I told her that she will make new friends and she can get her friends phone number and stay in contact when they leave high school. I don't know she just seems different. Is this normal. I just don't know why she doesn't seem herself After this trip and it's worrying me. Is it normal ?

samanthajayne17 Wed 08-Mar-17 21:50:29

When they leave primary *

divadee Thu 09-Mar-17 13:24:14

Your daughter was probably knackered from having very little sleep when on the trip. My daughter used to come home and just sleep for hours.

Maybe her and her friend have talked about how different it will be whole they were away and it's hit home a bit.

birdybirdbird Thu 09-Mar-17 18:50:12

As a teacher that has staffed residentials, this is quite common! They are on a huge high whilst they are there and the come down is a bit brutal for some children. She's probably also totally exhausted and, depending what their rules on midnight sweetie feasts are, is also probably having a sugar crash!
I know you are worried, but the best thing to do is to try and focus on the positive aspects of the trip. Ask her what the best bits were, what was the funniest thing that happened etc etc. If anything 'bad' has happened it will come out naturally in the next few days. If you go digging for something, she will think of negative things to tell you, but then they'll be all she remembers of the trip, rather than all the amazing things she did too.

Oblomov17 Thu 09-Mar-17 19:11:42

Are you naturally anxious? Have you spoken to a GP? Your anxiety about your dd going was not normal. Her return and her tiredness and upset at her friend going to a different secondary, is also completely normal. Please get help with your anxiety.

Viserion Thu 09-Mar-17 20:57:48

Goodness. My son is off on his first residential just after his 7th birthday in Y2. There will be a lot of them that are still 6. It is such a good experience for them, starting to be independent. It has never occurred to me to worry and he is 3 years younger.

As for her mental state, she just sounds exhausted and as if she didn't want hassle off her mother when she was tired. Hopefully she got a good night's sleep.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now