Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Advice on drinking too much

(6 Posts)
AristotlesArmy Sat 04-Mar-17 11:17:23

Hello!

I have an 18 month old boy, my second, who drinks a lot. I mean he is on his third beaker (maybe half a pint, just over) of water/weak squash within a couple of hours of being up. The thing is he eats a lot too. When we're out and about it's less, I guess because he's distracted but at home it's a lot. I do drink a lot, I've been known to make a whole pot of tea just for me, drink it within a couple of hours and have a water bottle on the go. Nothing wrong with me!

Erm, he's normal right? His nappies are full, he does go through more than my first but that's probably the liquid consumption! I'm probably worrying about nothing but my mother in law keeps bringing it up and making me think I'm being too relaxed about it!

KeepSmiling83 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:44:30

My two don't drink that much but that doesn't mean your DS is not normal. I don't really drink that much in the day so maybe they are just like me!

The only thing that springs to mind is diabetes but I have no idea what the other symptoms are - I only know it involves being constantly thirsty. Disclaimer - I am a worrier and so always think about what the worst thing could be! Maybe google the symptoms and see if your DS has any of them? Or make a drs appt to put your mind at rest? However it sounds perfectly feasible that if you eat a lot then you may drink a lot too!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sat 04-Mar-17 11:50:28

Look at his diet - is he having too much salt by accident? Weird stuff they put salt in!! My gs1 drinks loads but I know it's likely because his dm gives him a lot of ready made adult food which is prob not a good idea imo.

AristotlesArmy Sat 04-Mar-17 12:00:05

No, he doesn't have much salt really. We don't add it and he has toast/cereal for breakfast, snack in the morning (fruit or raisins), sandwich lunch time with normal stuff, crisps, fruit, yoghurt (or eggs on toast, etc). Sometimes he'll have something mid afternoon, then dinner. This week it's been varied, mini pizza one night, fish, mash and veg, spaghetti bolognase, pork loin and veg etc. All pretty standard I think. Maybe I should talk to the doctor just to be paranoid.

To be honest I'm kind of thinking he just likes it. I'm the same. I just drink because I like it, even water. I find it refreshing. When we're out he rarely asks but at home he wants a lot. Children! Always worrying!

Heirhelp Sat 04-Mar-17 21:56:32

Toast for breakfast, sand which for lunch and sausage for dinner could very easily equally too much salt.

Stop giving him juice as he maybe drink it for the taste. Just give water.

ILoveMonkeys Sat 04-Mar-17 22:02:59

My oldest DS does not drink a huge amount, like me. Youngest DS drinks loads. He will drink 6-8 sippy cups a day. My DH drinks loads though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now