Talk

Advanced search

New sibling, toddler behaviour regression

(5 Posts)
NewMumSept2014 Thu 02-Mar-17 17:11:46

That's about it really, just wondering how long this lasts? DD is 2.5 and DS is 5 days old.
DS is still in the very unsettled/ fussy newborn stage and needs fed/ held pretty much all the time. DD is very sensitive and DS crying totally stresses her out leading to tantrums, crying and demands for attention. I've been spending as much 1:1 time with her as possible and giving her lots of cuddles/ reassurance/ praise. I know she's struggling and her world has been turned upside down and there's a good explanation to how she's being, but just wondering in others experience how long will it take to settle down?

Nottalotta Thu 02-Mar-17 22:30:28

I'm a couple of weeks further in than you, with ds19 months and ds 2.5 weeks. Ds1 has not been too bad, quite confused I think.to begin, but miraculously doesn't seem to mind the baby crying, he just frowns at him. Today he gave ds2 aa cuddle which was lovely. Things are improving each day, although ds1 has had a sickness bug and been very clingy the last two days.

FATEdestiny Thu 02-Mar-17 22:52:14

Is your partner on paternity leave?

My DH used most of his paternity leave on focused attention for older siblings, feeing me up to focus on the baby. Lots of quality 121 time with Dad may help.

Ellieboolou27 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:27:11

Errrm 18 months later and we are still "settling" shock
I thought it'd be a good few months but how wrong I was.
Just wait till baby starts grabbing her toys, that's a whole new ball game grin

Nottalotta Fri 03-Mar-17 20:40:15

Good God. I spoke too soon. By 9.30 am today we are ALL crying. Ds1 was literally hanging off my leg wailing. All I needed was about 5 minutes to settle ds2 to sleep but ds1 just screamed every time I was about to put him down. This baby can sleep through a lot but not a toddler at full volume.

We went to soft play. Spent a bloody fortune but the rest of the day was much better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now