Talk

Advanced search

Are we feeding him too much? Three year old

(15 Posts)
wishesandkisses Thu 02-Mar-17 12:38:09

I'm just curious on what and when and how much (sorry😂) your little one eats. My son seems to have learned the words 'I'm hungry, I'm still hungry'. Usually I just give him some fruit at the end of his meal if he is still hungry but he has just eaten a massive cheese and cucumber teacake(I had the same and I'm full) with a cup of milk and he's stating he's still hungry and whining for more food. Is this right? I guess what I'm asking is - is he really hungry still or is he a greedy munchkin! Tia

Soubriquet Thu 02-Mar-17 13:23:45

If he's still hungry, he's still hungry.

Long as he isn't getting fat, let him eat

confusedandemployed Thu 02-Mar-17 13:25:28

If DD (just turned 4) days says she's still hungry after a meal I offer fruit. If she's hungry she'll take it, if not she's not fussed!

If she does take it and still says she's hungry i give her something else.

CMOTDibbler Thu 02-Mar-17 13:29:27

Give him some water - children can't tell the difference between thirst and hunger

Sleeplessinmybedroom Thu 02-Mar-17 13:35:28

Sorry did you say cheese and cucumber teacake? That's all kinds of wrong. Teacakes need to be toasted and lavished with butter.

daisydalrymple Thu 02-Mar-17 13:46:28

Dc3 is 2.4, so a bit younger. He's about 25lb in weight. Eats at breakfast 830, lunch 1230ish, tea for dcs 5ish. He's dairy intolerant so has soya yogurts and oat / almond / soya milk. Still has one bf before bed , which I'm trying to wind down!

Most days he eats all his breakfast, generally porridge/ ready brek or weetabix, (1.5) occasionally shreddies /Cheerios.

Lunch sandwich, (one slice of bread) with apple / cucumber. Or homemade soup with one slice b&b / toast, or beans on toast. I offer a yogurt (soya) after, he sometimes says yes, sometimes no.

Tea he has a child sized bowl portion of whatever we're having. Doesn't always finish it all. Offer yogurt if he didn't have it at lunch.

3x nights a week ds1 & dd have activities, so I offer cereal when we get back 615, sometimes he'll have one too.

Occasionally he'll ask for 'biccy and mulk' mid morning if not eaten much brek. Always has fruit in the morning, sometimes with brek or straight after school run, as he sees me getting it ready for dc1&2.

wishesandkisses Thu 02-Mar-17 18:13:20

Not a current one sleepless 😂 I'm from Yorkshire a teacake is what others may call a bap. Thank you for all your advice 😊

Sleeplessinmybedroom Fri 03-Mar-17 16:37:47

Phew that's a relief. In my shocked state I forgot to answer your question. My 17 month old is always asking for more food even if she's just eaten. Her favourite word is more.

PumpkinPie2016 Fri 03-Mar-17 20:38:43

My son is 3.4 and usually has;

A banana and baby bell before nursery. Then cereal and toast at nursery.

He had his lunch there at 11.45am which is a hot meal such as spaghetti bolognaise, roast chicken dinner, homemade cheese and onion pie with veg and potatoes. He has fruit or yogurt for afters.

At about 3.30pm they have a tea snack such as soup or beans in toast.

At home he then eats with us at about Tom - usually something like pasta/lamb chops and veg/soup and sandwhich.

Sometimes he has a yogurt or fruit after.

It probably sounds a lot but he's very tall for his age and slim so I think it's ok.

Somehowsomewhere Fri 03-Mar-17 20:41:43

My just 3 year old constantly tells me she's hungry! I offer her fruit, chopped veg or occasionally toast. If she's actually hungry she'll say yes. If she says no, I know she's not hungry (just bored!)

Grumpbum Fri 03-Mar-17 21:04:00

I have a 2.7 month old and I wish he'd say he was hungry! Today's he's eaten
1/2 slice toast
1/2 banana
1/2 sausage, 2 bits broccoli, carrots, green beans 2 bits of pasta
1/4 cheese sandwich, yoghurt. 3 raspberries

This was a good day

Somehowsomewhere Fri 03-Mar-17 21:18:13

DD3 generally eats something like this...
Scrambled egg on slice of toast
Banana and a biscuit
Wrap with ham, cheese, cucumber and tomato followed by a yoghurt
Pack of raisins and a raw carrot
Sausage (x2), mash, carrots, broccoli and gravy
Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries

She's 25th centile

ODog Sat 04-Mar-17 20:02:50

Cup of milk
Breakfast - Porridge/cereal and fruit
Snack - rice cakes/raisins/fruit/biscuit
Lunch - sandwich (2 slices of bread) and cut up veg
Snack - as above
Dinner - toddler portion of whatever I have cooked (usual stuff) plus yoghurt or rice pudding
Cup of milk

Snacks vary but he will normally have something mid morning and after his nap. Whether he eats all of every meal varies greatly.

highinthesky Sat 04-Mar-17 20:05:27

Try the apple test the next time your LO asks for more food after a meal. If it's accepted, it's genuine hunger.

If it's rejected, he wants something nice to eat (and who can blame him for that? grin

DarkLikeVader Sat 04-Mar-17 20:08:29

The apple test here although as DD loves apples it's the dry cracker or carrot sticks test. Works every time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now