Talk

Advanced search

Baby crying at same time each day?!

(13 Posts)
einalem1984 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:12:10

My 3 month old baby girl cries around the same time each day and I don't understand why. Usually around 4pm, she changes from being happy to screaming for no apparent reason! I've heard this happens with babies but I don't know why? Is there something I'm doing that is causing this? What can I do if anything to prevent it? Any help or advice appreciated! smile

rmca Wed 01-Mar-17 22:15:07

Hi there. My little one did this. I think this was down to being over tired. Once I got my baby having a proper nap in the afternoon it sorted itself out.

Mrsknackered Wed 01-Mar-17 22:16:09

Screams and very little helps calms her or she screams for a bit and then settles?
If it's the first than could be colic - I might be completely wrong - but I think colic usuuuually starts a few weeks later than this. But like I said, could be completely wrong!

IHeartKingThistle Wed 01-Mar-17 22:19:18

Oh yes, the hour of doom. I ended up walking up and down with the same album on every day between 4-5 for a while! It did just stop when she got a bit older.

Tidypidy Wed 01-Mar-17 22:22:54

Does the heating come on then and make a noise?

mummydoc123 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:23:10

We called it the baby witching hour....only ours started at 5pm. Would scream and scream. Thankfully got better gradually. Another mum mentioned to me about it too so suspect quite common.

einalem1984 Wed 01-Mar-17 22:25:34

Good to know she will grow out of it and it's not unusual! It usually lasts for an hour or 2 off and on and then she settles. I just worry that she's in pain or discomfort? I give her gripe water after feeds to help clear any wind and I have a bedtime routine that starts around 6pm so not sure what else to do really.

FilthMonster Wed 01-Mar-17 22:37:12

We also called it the witching hour. Every mum in my antenatal group had the same experience (and almost every one put it down to colic and was giving drops etc). It gets better with age and there's a growing school of thought that this is just normal and doesn't need fixing. Have a look at website ink{http://purplecrying.info/\purplecrying.info]]/} which was recommended to me by a paediatrician friend

FilthMonster Wed 01-Mar-17 22:38:25

Link fail, sorry!

purplecrying.info

Semaphorically Wed 01-Mar-17 22:41:45

It might be overstimulation / overtiredness. Try feeding her in a quiet dark room, no talking no eye contact.

llangennith Wed 01-Mar-17 22:41:50

41 years ago but I still remember the crying my middle DC did from 6 till 9 every bloody night. Thank goodness for TV!

chloechloe Thu 02-Mar-17 10:11:50

Yes yes yes it's the witching hour! I had it with my first, currently have it with the second and all my antenatal group friends' babies had the same.

I think it's down to overtiredness, overstimulation and babies trying to process everything they've experienced in the day. By the end of the day it's just all too much and they have a meltdown.

I find the best solution is to stick the Baby in the sling and carry her round while I get dinner ready and put my toddler to bed. Ideally get them in the sling before they start grizzling otherwise there's an eternity of overtired screaming until they finally go to sleep!

chloechloe Thu 02-Mar-17 10:13:48

Forgot to say that I think it's developmental and one day it suddenly stops!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now