Talk

Advanced search

At what age did you start pocket money?

(10 Posts)
OrlandoTheCat Wed 01-Mar-17 12:17:14

I'm thinking of starting when DS turns 3... what do you think?

MissCalamity Wed 01-Mar-17 13:28:10

I started giving DS a £1 a week when he was about 5.

Sunnydaysrock Wed 01-Mar-17 13:32:39

DD12 and DS8 don't get regular pocket money still. They randomly get given money by family when we see them. We give them money if they need it. They do save for things they want, so we don't feel the pressure to be regular yet. And we have a cat called Orlando opsmile

TwatteryFlowers Wed 01-Mar-17 14:01:13

I don't give pocket money yet but my dc, 4&5, get £1 after getting 5 x 10 stars as a reward for good behaviour/light chores/not getting up too early. It usually takes a couple of weeks. It's up to then whether they spend it straight away or save it up so they can buy something bigger and better.

ShelaghTurner Wed 01-Mar-17 14:05:51

Started with DD1 when she was 7 at £1.50 a week. She gets a 50p pay rise every birthday and she's now 9 and gets £2.50 a week. And it's paid straight onto her Osper card. DD2 is 5 and doesn't get pocket money yet.

KeepSmiling83 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:26:08

DD1 is almost 6 and I have just started giving her pocket money. She's gets £5 a week and can decide if she wants to spend it or save it. I started it because she was getting used to me buying her little things here and there (a game for her iPad, toy from Home Bargains). Although they weren't expensive I didn't like her getting used to me buying things all the time.

skankingpiglet Wed 01-Mar-17 23:33:57

DD1 is 2.8yo and has been getting it for a couple of months now. She earns it daily for little chores and good behaviour, up to 10p/day. I think the highlight of her week is going to the shops on a Saturday to pick something out with it, and she spends around half on average. I'm encouraging the saving, which she is doing but is still unconvinced it's worth it. I don't think she'll get it until she's saved enough to buy her first 'big ticket' item My Little Pony, which is still a few months off at the rate she's going.
I've not regretted starting as she's already grasping the basic concepts and is obsessed with counting the coins (how many she has, not how much Sterling! She isn't some crazy genius!). It is very funny she's much happier getting 2p coins than 5p though, as when you're 2yo bigger is always better grin

BackforGood Wed 01-Mar-17 23:46:55

There's no point in giving it them at 3, they won't be able to understand the concept of values of coins / saving / getting change / etc.
I mean, you can obviously put money away for them at any time, but generally people tend to think th e point of pocket money is to have some control over a little budget of your own - to get used to being able to choose what crap you spend money on, and what is worth saving up for, for a few weeks etc.

avamiah Wed 01-Mar-17 23:52:23

My daughter is 7 ( year 2 primary) and we started giving her pocket money when she started school( reception) when she was 5.
She has a little tin and she puts her coins and notes in there and whenever we go on holiday she takes whatever she has with her and buys postcards and little gifts for her grandparents and then starts saving again when she comes back.

chocolatebourbon Thu 02-Mar-17 14:55:28

DS started getting pocket money at age 6. He was very aware of how much things cost (eg comparing what I spent on him to what I spent on his sister) and it just felt like the right time.
DD still doesn't get it at age 5. She prefers to ask me for things she wants (although it is still just "anything from the shop" most of the time) and cannot handle the save/spend decision-making process (or many decision making processes) that well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now