Talk

Advanced search

New car seats after accident

(7 Posts)
AJMcF Tue 28-Feb-17 20:06:38

We were in a car accident on Friday. It was only a minor bump and no one was harmed. The other car had admitted liability and as such my insurance company have passed my number onto their legal team (very annoying)

Anyway, they asked about injury etc and I stated we were fine. He then asked about my car seats. Implied I legally needed new ones and to buy them and claim the cost from the at fault party.

I did a little googling and the manufacturing states if the crash was minor it isn't required.

Would it be better to get new ones in a better safe than sorry kind of way? Or would it just be taking the piss out of the other driver (my neighbour)

laidbackmummy13 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:11:57

Always get new ones. It should be covered by insurance but even if it isn't you must get a new one

mimiholls Tue 28-Feb-17 20:12:01

I would claim for them. You're entitled to, you're not taking the piss. It will make very little difference to your neighbour as they've had to make an insurance claim anyway.

laidbackmummy13 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:13:03

And when disposing of old ones put a hammer through it and destroy it so it can't be re-used

AJMcF Tue 28-Feb-17 21:08:56

Thanks! I've seen some online. DH agrees we should too. We have been using the ones from his car as a precaution.

Will sort it now smile

Laquila Tue 28-Feb-17 21:14:39

I had a similar situation and didn't regret replacing them on insurance (I went into the back of them though 🙄)

They asked for receipts and photos of the damaged ones, not that you could see any damage, and transferred the money to my account straight away.

AJMcF Tue 28-Feb-17 23:17:48

Thanks. I can see absolutely no damage to the seats at all. We were travelling at a really slowly speed.

I will order these seats and give them a quick call to claim them back. Appreciate people getting back to me I was trying to make it as simple as possible for the other car but I was stupid not to think the kids would be in danger if there was any damage!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now