Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Autism Diagnostic Process

(5 Posts)
SarahRuth39 Tue 28-Feb-17 16:53:25

I'm not really sure if I'm about to ask a question or am simply thinking out loud. I guess I'll know by the end.

My 10 yr old dd is in the process of being assessed for autism. We had been lead to believe that we would find out today. Unfortunately CAMHS have decided on another assessment they would like to complete before making a final decision. I'm pleased they are being thorough but at the same time the waiting has got me in knots. On one hand they are saying there is a lot there to point to autism but they just want to hold off until they've done the cognitive tests. Whilst this has only been going on since August, in reality this is the culmination of 7 years or me saying to various people, teachers, Dr's, HV etc that something is not quite right. I just want to know now. Everything will be completed and we'll know the outcome by beginning of April but at the moment it seems like an eternity away.

She's such a gorgeous girl. I can't help but think how much easier school life would have been had her social communication difficulties been identified earlier.

vickibee Tue 28-Feb-17 16:58:34

You instinctively know as a parent when there is something not right. I had been fighting for a dx since age three and finally got one age nine. It was mixed feelings , on the one hand it explained everything but on the other no parent wants their child to have a learning disability. sad nothing has changed following the dx you are still left to get on with it with no support even from school.

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 17:01:55

If I remember rightly from my own diagnosis the cognitive tests are to do with where abouts on the spectrum she is? Because my cognitive functioning was 'normal' and I didn't have an associated learning difficulty I was diagnosed with 'aspergers' instead of autism. Though I think they just say ASD now! Confusing. Hope you get some answers soon

SarahRuth39 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:33:00

I've been really fortunate so far as dd'so school have already begun working with her to support her with her social communication difficulties. They've also got the language and Communication Team involved to provide one-to-one interventions.

As her social communication difficulties have already been identified it does seem to be now about whether she has 'scored' enough across all areas to warrant an autism diagnosis. It's just the constant waiting that is frustrating.

Bluefluff Tue 28-Feb-17 18:36:24

Fingers crossed they won't keep you waiting too long. Even if she scores really highly on the cognitive ability tests it doesn't mean she won't get a diagnosis, that's usually when they class people as 'high functioning'. It's good to hear that school are being proactive with supporting her too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now