Talk

Advanced search

Stairgate questions (very boring)

(8 Posts)
seven201 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:09:11

My daughter is now on the move so we need to have invest in some stair gates. There are so many on the market. How do you pick? Do pressure fit ones work as well as screw in? Is it worth getting ones where they don't have the bar along the bottom so they're non-trip? Which is the least annoying type of opening/catch thing? I need three so don't want to get in wrong! TIA

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 28-Feb-17 15:11:38

Choose the ones with the fiddliest catch. Our toddler learned how to open them all and are all cable tied shut now so have to climb over all bloody 3!!

minipie Tue 28-Feb-17 16:10:09

Pressure fit are not advised for top of stairs because there is a bottom bar which is easy to trip over by accident. So yes screw in ideally for stairs.

All the catches are pretty similar (and all a bit annoying!) IME

Do you have a standard width opening, if not you will be restricted to the adjustable ones. Also will you be attaching it to wall both sides or to banister post on one side - if banister post then you need to be sure the fixings will be in the right place for where you have flat bits on your banister post iyswim.

Style - there are some ones like roller blinds which are very discreet, they do cost more though.

By the way, we never had stair gates for our first - just kept a closer eye on her or shut the doors to keep her away from the stairs. They're not compulsory... (we did get them for our second though as it's harder to watch two at once!)

seven201 Tue 28-Feb-17 18:46:11

Thanks both, very useful. I don't think any of them will be standard size so I'll get on Google tonight. Thanks again

chloechloe Tue 28-Feb-17 20:32:12

We have the pressure fit ones from Safety 1st on all our stairs and I'm pleased with them. They do have the bar on the bottom but you get used to it being there. I didn't want the drill in ones as we have a new house and I didn't want to start drilling into the walls!

I agree to the tip to checking how easily they open. DD1 is nearly 2 and paying close attention to how we open them! The newer Safety 1st gates are harder to open - you slide the button on the top whilst pushing the one on the bottom which I doubt a toddler could manage.

seven201 Tue 28-Feb-17 22:00:34

Thanks Chloe. I've done a bit of research and I think I'm going to go for the my guard baby dan one - it should fit our weird stairs, it sort of concertinas as we having little space and the catch looks not too easy for toddlers. Thanks everyone

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Tue 28-Feb-17 22:04:51

We've got that concertina one. The preschooler can't open it, no chance. It's very good.

Otherwise, this one
Lindam Push To Shut Easy Close Extending Metal Safety Gate www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AJSW0FK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_onFTybPNAT6VJ?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Good for standard doorways. No trip bar, very very secure, very hard to open, and it's easily removed if you want it out the way

I've had a LOT of stair gates, these are the best ones I've had.

seven201 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:27:14

Thank you she 👍

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now