Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm a bit worried about newborn

(21 Posts)
buckyou Tue 28-Feb-17 14:20:53

I think he's probably fine and MW coming tomorrow but was hoping someone might put my mind at rest!

He's 12 days old, sleeps A LOT, at least 20 hours a day and doesn't seem to feed that often, maybe every 3 hours but can go longer (BF). He's also got a cold so is all bunged up.

He is quite big - 9lb 8, and had lost 4% at day 5. Seems fine when he is awake, latches on well etc. I'm just a bit worried about all the sleeping he is so different to my older baby! Does this sound normal?

MissDallas Tue 28-Feb-17 14:23:51

My DS did this. It was horrible. I would stare at him for hours feeling so frustrated that he wouldn't wake up. I would say he slept at least 22 hours out of 24.

Then around a few weeks old, it all changed and he became a dreadful sleeper, waking up all the time.

Your DA is fine I'm sure, but I can relate to your anxiety.

Rozdeek Tue 28-Feb-17 14:24:02

Mine was literally barely awake at that age.

MissDallas Tue 28-Feb-17 14:24:13

*DS.

Rozdeek Tue 28-Feb-17 14:24:27

It was great btw, I wish he was like that now grin

Heirhelp Tue 28-Feb-17 14:26:14

Give your midwife a ring. Even if it is just for reassurance.

pinkjumper Tue 28-Feb-17 14:29:42

Most newborns sleep 20 odd hours out of 24, but do phone for reassurance if you're very worried.

Swirlingasong Tue 28-Feb-17 14:32:04

I had to wake dc1 every three hours to feed at that age then suddenly day 13 or 14 I think, he woke up, fed constantly and it felt like he barely slept for the next two years...

P1nkSparkles Tue 28-Feb-17 14:33:50

Sounds just like my DD at that age I had to wake her for feeds too... and she would sleep through anything. It's hard work being a baby!!

strawberrypenguin Tue 28-Feb-17 14:34:41

My first was barely awake for about 3 weeks, if he's got a good amount of wet nappies he's likely ok but do speak to your midwife if you're concerned

buckyou Tue 28-Feb-17 14:34:49

I'm not complaining! grin I was hoping this meant he was going to be an easy baby but sounds like they can change!!

I think he'd fine he has no temp or anything. Hopefully he will be back over his birth weight when he's weighed tomorrow.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 28-Feb-17 14:39:22

He may be a little jaundiced? That can make babies more drowsy than usual. It's worth asking your midwife but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. I had big babies that slept a lot in the early days. As long as he's feeding well, has wet nappies and is alert and responsive when awake.

Oh and congratulations! It's always a shock with the second baby that they're not exactly the same as the first!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 28-Feb-17 14:43:57

*when I say responsive obviously I mean looking around, kicking and making noise, he is only 12 days old!

fatbottomgirl67 Tue 28-Feb-17 14:48:20

Ok now I'm not trying to scare you but if you are at all concerned get him checked out. My Ds at 2 weeks was sleeping a lot and not feeding much. Took him to drs and all was well but I suddenly got spooked one night. Called ooh and they sent paramedics. He had undiagnosed heart condition. Bloody scarey and very rare. But if you have the slightest doubt get him checked out. Much better to be safe than sorry.

Blowninonabreeze Tue 28-Feb-17 16:40:34

Dd2 was like this. She couldn't stay awake for more than 20 minutes!

At 6 weeks she suddenly 'woke up'

The first 6 weeks were bliss, and she stayed an easy contented baby after that

buckyou Tue 28-Feb-17 16:58:22

Thanks for replying. I think he's fine. Will mention it to MW tomorrow.

happymumof4crazykids Tue 28-Feb-17 17:19:56

My 3rd child was like this! She slept (11-6) at night from 2 1/2 weeks old she was 9lb 11oz at birth and lost 10% of her birth weight and took 10 days to gain it back. Midwife told me to wake her every 4 hrs at night and feed her every 3 hrs in the day. I did it for a week and as she barely fed in the night I just stopped. She is and has always been a fantastic sleeper. My first 2 were about 6 weeks old when they started sleeping long period at night but my 4th child was nothing like it! She didn't stop waking up at night till she was 18 months old and even now at 2 will have occasional nights where she wakes up for a couple of hours in the night sad
I guess what I was trying to say is as long as he is gaining weight, having wet nappies and seems to be alert some of the time I wouldn't worry! All babies are different and yours just sounds like he contented smile

buckyou Thu 02-Mar-17 11:31:11

Just a quick update. He has been much more awake the last couple of days and midwife and HV have both been and have no concerns. He's nearly back to his birth weight.

So think he's just a chilled baby!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Thu 02-Mar-17 19:50:28

I'm glad it's all fine. Enjoy your chilled out baby smile

Nottalotta Thu 02-Mar-17 22:24:48

Mines like this, totally different to my older child so it's taking some getting used to!

0hCrepe Fri 03-Mar-17 20:17:26

Yes dd was asleep loads, be thankful you have a heavy sleeper! In the early weeks she'd barely open her eyes! Ds was too but older dd would wake up at anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now