Talk

Advanced search

1yr old DD in agony when doing a poo but not constipated

(6 Posts)
JJRJ1002 Mon 27-Feb-17 17:42:24

I am so worried about my 16 month old DD - for 2 weeks she has been in what clearly is excruciating pain when she going/trying to poo, but she poos every day and the poo is soft so I didn't think it was constipation. Numerous times an hour and during the night she will tense her whole body and scream in pain and cling to me for dear life.
I have taken her to the Drs they don't know what it is and I took her to a&e today and they suggested lactulose- but I don't understand how this will help seen as she is pooing and it's soft ?
Has anyone experienced the same with their little ones? I am getting so upset seeing her in so much pain most of the day and night

Cranb0rne Tue 28-Feb-17 05:52:24

Poor little thing. It could be an anal fissure. I had one post pregnancy and they are excruciating even if you're not constipated. They are quite common in children.

mimiholls Tue 28-Feb-17 09:52:19

Could it be trapped wind? My little girl does this when shes trying to fart though doesn't sound quite so bad. You say it happens numerous times an hour, is she really trying to poo that often?

endofthelinefinally Tue 28-Feb-17 09:57:20

Impaction?
Read the information on the ERIC website.
See if it rings any bells.

JJRJ1002 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:51:28

The dr checked and there are no anal fissures.
Even though she has been pooing fine every day the Drs think it's impaction so she has now been started on movicol. I hope this works

boopdoop Tue 28-Feb-17 23:47:51

My DS used to really struggle pooing, and often they weren't that hard once out. For a while they were and he had lactolose which helped but didn't fix it.

The thing which fixed it for him was taking probiotics. No idea if it'll help for you but it made a significant difference for my DS.

I was a bit skeptical but it really worked quite quickly. We did one bottle of drops and haven't had to do it again since.

We used Bio Gaia baby drops, just put it in his milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now