Talk

Advanced search

Did you use follow on milk?

(17 Posts)
fruityb Sun 26-Feb-17 16:37:57

DS is six months now and I was thinking of getting the next stage formula. Thing is I've also read it's not necessary! Did you?

Thanks for any advice

littlepinkgiraffe Sun 26-Feb-17 16:39:19

We didn't bother. Stayed with the same formula until 12 months then switched to cows milk. Pretty sure we were told it was a con and a way of making money, something about not being allowed to advertise first stage Milk on TV but they are allowed to advertise follow on for some reason?

dementedpixie Sun 26-Feb-17 16:40:06

I did as it was cheaper and you got offers on it. Didn't use it until around 9 months

LostMyDotBrain Sun 26-Feb-17 16:40:38

Nope. The only reason it's even a thing is because they're not legally allowed to advertise stage 1 milk.

Mrsknackered Sun 26-Feb-17 16:42:11

I never bothered, HV told me it was a con, along with things like baby toothpaste. Stayed with 1st stage then switched to cows milk around 1st birthday.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 26-Feb-17 16:44:03

We did just because ds is vegi and was prem so just togive him a bit extra. . On to number 4 now and he still loves it!! Has a great diet and dislikes nothing!!

fruityb Sun 26-Feb-17 16:44:45

That's what I was thinking pixie I've seen its on offer which makes a difference to me as we get through a box a week.

I'm currently in weaning/sippy cup/have some water confusion so trying to get some boxes ticked in my head! I've just discovered Size 3 teats which I forgot existed as he's been on 2 for so long I didn't even think about it!

Tobuyornot99 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:06:10

I intend to in a few weeks, it's no less nutritious, and you can get Boots advantage points, 3 for 2s etc, which is really helpful whilst on mat leave.

justinelibertine Mon 27-Feb-17 13:08:00

We went onto stage 3 after DDs first birthday. I can't get her off the bloody stuff.

fruityb Mon 27-Feb-17 16:36:53

I thought there were offers as this is what made me go for it. It does make a difference - I bought a box and we'll see how he gets on. If it's no different in terms of what he gets from it but is different cost wise I think it's a change worth trying.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Mon 27-Feb-17 19:21:09

The follow on milk has extra iron in it so makes some babies constipated. You could try it and if your DC gets bunged up just switch back. I just stuck with first stage milk as I wasn't fussed about the offers/points and didn't want to risk constipation.

skankingpiglet Mon 27-Feb-17 23:56:34

When I compared the nutritional content between the stages for DD1 a couple of years ago stage two had more sugar in it too (as well as the iron already mentioned). That was enough to put me off despite the extra offers/points available on it. Might be worth checking out if that's still true?

DD1 was on stage 1 until a year old, although was only combi fed from 6mo and ff from 9mo, then moved off of formula. DD2 will also stay on stage 1 until a year old (currently combi fed and 8mo).

Purple999Red Tue 28-Feb-17 05:07:05

No, we don't we just follow what our children pediatrician's advice until they reach a year older

fruityb Tue 28-Feb-17 07:56:02

Ill have a go with it, will see about the bunging issue lol - DS is normally pretty good with those! I haven't seen HV since 8 week check so wanted some thoughts.

Anything to help with cost is good for me but obviously if it's not best for him we'll change.

Frazzled2207 Tue 28-Feb-17 08:03:38

It it only a thing so that the companies can advertise their products etc but the truth is it's cheaper. And barely different to the stage one stuff so I used it.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Tue 28-Feb-17 19:16:06

Yes I think they have extra carbohydrates in them too, hence the extra sugar.

fruityb Wed 01-Mar-17 08:05:33

Bunged up hasn't been a problem as yet lmao

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now