Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Did you use follow on milk?

(17 Posts)
fruityb Sun 26-Feb-17 16:37:57

DS is six months now and I was thinking of getting the next stage formula. Thing is I've also read it's not necessary! Did you?

Thanks for any advice

littlepinkgiraffe Sun 26-Feb-17 16:39:19

We didn't bother. Stayed with the same formula until 12 months then switched to cows milk. Pretty sure we were told it was a con and a way of making money, something about not being allowed to advertise first stage Milk on TV but they are allowed to advertise follow on for some reason?

dementedpixie Sun 26-Feb-17 16:40:06

I did as it was cheaper and you got offers on it. Didn't use it until around 9 months

LostMyDotBrain Sun 26-Feb-17 16:40:38

Nope. The only reason it's even a thing is because they're not legally allowed to advertise stage 1 milk.

Mrsknackered Sun 26-Feb-17 16:42:11

I never bothered, HV told me it was a con, along with things like baby toothpaste. Stayed with 1st stage then switched to cows milk around 1st birthday.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Sun 26-Feb-17 16:44:03

We did just because ds is vegi and was prem so just togive him a bit extra. . On to number 4 now and he still loves it!! Has a great diet and dislikes nothing!!

fruityb Sun 26-Feb-17 16:44:45

That's what I was thinking pixie I've seen its on offer which makes a difference to me as we get through a box a week.

I'm currently in weaning/sippy cup/have some water confusion so trying to get some boxes ticked in my head! I've just discovered Size 3 teats which I forgot existed as he's been on 2 for so long I didn't even think about it!

Tobuyornot99 Mon 27-Feb-17 13:06:10

I intend to in a few weeks, it's no less nutritious, and you can get Boots advantage points, 3 for 2s etc, which is really helpful whilst on mat leave.

justinelibertine Mon 27-Feb-17 13:08:00

We went onto stage 3 after DDs first birthday. I can't get her off the bloody stuff.

fruityb Mon 27-Feb-17 16:36:53

I thought there were offers as this is what made me go for it. It does make a difference - I bought a box and we'll see how he gets on. If it's no different in terms of what he gets from it but is different cost wise I think it's a change worth trying.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Mon 27-Feb-17 19:21:09

The follow on milk has extra iron in it so makes some babies constipated. You could try it and if your DC gets bunged up just switch back. I just stuck with first stage milk as I wasn't fussed about the offers/points and didn't want to risk constipation.

skankingpiglet Mon 27-Feb-17 23:56:34

When I compared the nutritional content between the stages for DD1 a couple of years ago stage two had more sugar in it too (as well as the iron already mentioned). That was enough to put me off despite the extra offers/points available on it. Might be worth checking out if that's still true?

DD1 was on stage 1 until a year old, although was only combi fed from 6mo and ff from 9mo, then moved off of formula. DD2 will also stay on stage 1 until a year old (currently combi fed and 8mo).

Purple999Red Tue 28-Feb-17 05:07:05

No, we don't we just follow what our children pediatrician's advice until they reach a year older

fruityb Tue 28-Feb-17 07:56:02

Ill have a go with it, will see about the bunging issue lol - DS is normally pretty good with those! I haven't seen HV since 8 week check so wanted some thoughts.

Anything to help with cost is good for me but obviously if it's not best for him we'll change.

Frazzled2207 Tue 28-Feb-17 08:03:38

It it only a thing so that the companies can advertise their products etc but the truth is it's cheaper. And barely different to the stage one stuff so I used it.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Tue 28-Feb-17 19:16:06

Yes I think they have extra carbohydrates in them too, hence the extra sugar.

fruityb Wed 01-Mar-17 08:05:33

Bunged up hasn't been a problem as yet lmao

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: