Talk

Advanced search

Not sure where to start!

(7 Posts)
UnbelievablyChocolatey Sun 26-Feb-17 11:55:35

I'm due to go back to work this summer, DS has just turned a year old. He is currently bf to sleep for his two naps a day. Childcare will be a mixture of MIL, my DDad and possibly nursery/childminder. I have no idea where to start with arranging everything. Where can I find good childcare options,where would people put him down for his naps, how will people get him to sleep without me etc

Does anyone have any tips for this transition?

Cranb0rne Sun 26-Feb-17 13:17:43

I just threw my two in at the deep end tbh. They both fed to sleep, refused to nap in the cot. They have both transitioned really well to nursery and had no problems with napping there. It's totally unfair as my youngest will nap for 3 hours in the nursery cot but won't entertain the idea of it at home.

UnbelievablyChocolatey Sun 26-Feb-17 19:13:37

And the nursery staff haven't had any issues putting them to sleep? Do they literally just put them down in the cot?

Cranb0rne Sun 26-Feb-17 20:04:25

Just remembered back to my first. The staff let him sleep on them for the first few weeks, then had him sleeping on a matt on the floor for a while. He then went into the cot. So it was a gradual transition rather than leaving him to cry or anything. Maybe ask a potential nursery if they're willing to do that for your baby? I've never heard of a nursery just leaving a baby to cry in a cot though.

Coconut0il Sun 26-Feb-17 20:52:28

I bf DS2 to sleep for his nap and at bedtime. When I'm not there DP rocks him, pushes him in pushchair, takes him for a drive.
Definitely visit any nursery/childminder that you're interested in. Speak to the staff and see how they interact with the children. You've got to be comfortable with them. I'd definitely start looking now as places can get filled up quickly.

KatyN Sun 26-Feb-17 22:23:12

My son only slept in my arms for naps until he went to nursery. They had him sleeping in a cot on his first day. Flipping professionals.

UnbelievablyChocolatey Mon 27-Feb-17 09:07:30

My only problem coconutOil is I don't know what shifts I will be doing so don't know yet what days/times I will need him to go

I guess I'm worried he will be crying for his mum more than anything haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now