Talk

Advanced search

Weaning nightmare!!

(15 Posts)
Mama2708 Sun 26-Feb-17 08:23:27

Hi mums

So I'm desperately after some weaning advice for my 6 months old becuase I'm so confused and my poor baba doesn't know what's going on 🙈

Basically my baby eats quite well and I started giving him bits of food at around 5 months. He's 6 months now and will happily eat a whole pouch of Ella's kitchen apples or a jar of baby food if I let him. He's a good eater I think?? He's still unsure of things like toast etc but he does try.

Thing is, since we've started all this he's not been sleeping well and starting to refuse his bottles. I literally have no idea how much milk he will now need and how many feeds he might drop. I'm worried he'll dehydrate but sometimes he'll scream becuase he really doesn't want the bottle but he'll happily eat solids.

He's started waking up for milk in the night but he's slept through since being smaller so I'm so confused.

Any help would be so much appreciated!!!!!

arbrighton Sun 26-Feb-17 17:12:46

have you offered water in a cup? Is he still producing wet nappies?

He's still very young to be weaned

Heirhelp Sun 26-Feb-17 20:31:30

How much milk is he having? If he is having less than 17oz a day then he needs vitamins.

My DD reduced milk feeds too quickly but I can force feed her. Are you offering milk before food?

Food has less calories than milk so babies often wake up more for milk when they start weaning. There is also a big sleep regression at 6 months.

Just be glad that he has slept through my my daughter has done this 8 times. She is nearly 10 months.

JagerPlease Mon 27-Feb-17 09:58:40

I would offer milk first still, then food afterwards so that he's getting his main calories from milk and just topping up with food

allthegoodnamesalreadytaken Mon 27-Feb-17 21:27:52

I had a similar issue with DD turns out the amount of sugar in the ella's fruit pouches were making her hyper and so she wasn't able to sleep. Even though it's all natural check out the sugar content on the back and stuck to the vegetable pouches as they have less sugar

Mama2708 Tue 28-Feb-17 08:08:37

I never thought of that, that's something to think about. I think I'd like to start making my own food for him as it does seem a bit healthier. Thanks @allthegoodnamesarealreadytaken

Heirhelp Tue 28-Feb-17 08:16:26

I have notice that even the Ella veg pouches have a lot of fruit in them.

How many meals a day are you giving him? If you are doing purée then at think stage I think he should be on one meal a day.

ineedwine99 Tue 28-Feb-17 08:20:29

Hi, could you add some baby porridge made with an oz of formula/breast milk to the baby food?
We never give purely fruit pouches due to lower calorie content, we use jars/pouches of baby meals (just started ones with meat in, she's 6 and half months old) or fruit and veg mixes. We always add either a bit of baby rice or baby porridge made up with formula to give her a bit more food and also make sure she's getting the vitamins etc from the formula. She like your baby in that she's less fussed by the bottles now, prefers her purée smile

fuxxake Tue 28-Feb-17 09:09:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fuxxake Tue 28-Feb-17 09:10:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Heirhelp Tue 28-Feb-17 11:29:42

Lots of people don't think baby rice is a good food for babies.

ineedwine99 Tue 28-Feb-17 12:03:33

I only use a couple of teaspoons once a day made with formula, could use porridge instead though whuch i use at breakfast

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Feb-17 18:54:05

Have you found the Weaning Section yet OP smile

Mama2708 Tue 28-Feb-17 20:29:27

I didn't even know that exsisted! Thanks @JiltedJohnsJulie 😃😃😃.

Thanks everyone xx

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 28-Feb-17 20:42:04

No problem smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now