Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leaving a child home alone

(9 Posts)
User7889 Sat 25-Feb-17 21:43:23

My DS is nearly 9 and asked recently if he could stay at home while I sropped his younger siblings to an activity, this would take 25-30mins. We live in a safe area with lots of people we know around. I can't really see why not, but have never done it so worry at the thought. He is responsible and if in front of the tv probably wouldn't move. Not certain if it is too young or I'm just resisting change and him growing up. Very interested to know your thoughts on this, thanks

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Sat 25-Feb-17 21:44:40

Some will say absolutely, they left theirs for that length of time at 5.
Others will say they wont leave their 18 year old alone in the house. grin

Scrumptiousbears Sat 25-Feb-17 21:46:45

I think it depends on the child. Is he responsible and trustworthy?

Winterbelle Sat 25-Feb-17 21:50:44

My 9 yr old stays home if I'm just doing something within the village. If I have to go out further in the car he comes. Fast country roads and lots of accidents near here (and no mobile signal).

greenfolder Sat 25-Feb-17 21:54:05

Yep i would. I leave 9 year old dd whilst i go and do station pick up. It can be half an hour

TwoLeftSocks Sat 25-Feb-17 21:57:21

I've started to do this with our 10yr old but we had a few practices of how to phone me on my mobile first, and it's a shorter time out. He normally phones me just as I'm walking up our road but is happy on his tablet while I'll out.

User7889 Sun 26-Feb-17 13:17:09

Thank you for your advice... yep will definitely do call practices, he is very grown up (sadly because his father walked out 4 years ago) and he feels responsible for me and his two younger DS's. I know he will be chuffed at being given this responsibility.... head says yes, heart says he is still a baby!

ShelaghTurner Sun 26-Feb-17 13:42:38

We've left our 9yo a couple of times for 25 mins when I've been out and DH has gone out for a run. Yesterday he was intending to leave her for 1hr+ while he took DD2 to the library. I wasn't sure what to make of that tbh.

User7889 Mon 27-Feb-17 22:34:20

I did it yesterday for 30 mins... he called me every 10 mins just because he could! He was so chuffed at being trusted and seems to be really happy, loved seeing his smile when I asked him if he liked it.... it's a strange thought that that is the first time ever in his life he has been completely alone. Thanks for the advice I'm glad I did it, he has earnt and deserves that level of trust

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now