Talk

Advanced search

Children left unattended in bath by sister

(199 Posts)
WimbledonMum1 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:35:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Feb-17 16:36:36

Can't your sister understand why these things are dangerous?

confusedat23 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:36:59

Have you tried actually talking to your sister and telling her the dangers you feel are there? I think it would be a bit much to just report your sister without trying to help her if that is what you have done!

Trainspotting1984 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:38:56

You emailed social services because your sister leaves her son in his cot with a bottle of water and leaves a 3 year old unsupervised in the bath?

Are you kidding me?

You're a bloody awful sister and a bit daft.

Afreshstartplease Fri 24-Feb-17 16:40:00

I leave my three year old in the bath sometimes, to be fair she's nearly four

Crazyvaperlady Fri 24-Feb-17 16:40:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Fri 24-Feb-17 16:40:58

You've already reported her by telling social services. I think the bottle thing is a bit ridiculous to be honest, but leaving a child of 3 in the bath isn't, it's potentially life threatening. Why did you email SS? Can't you just speak to your sister?

DianaMemorialJam Fri 24-Feb-17 16:41:09

Jess Christ op I echo trainspotting, that's a bit much. Yes, leaving her in the bath is very wreckless but don't you think you could try and solve it as a family before reporting her?!

FallenSky Fri 24-Feb-17 16:41:11

What did your sister say when you raised your concerns with her?

Trainspotting1984 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:41:20

Sorry not water, milk. Makes no difference unless it's booze really

TheOnlyLivingBoyinNewCork Fri 24-Feb-17 16:41:46

How can you have been leaving a child alone in the bath for several years if they are 3 years old? You can't.

And loads of people give bottles in the cot. What do you think is wrong with that? It's not great for teeth but thats hardly SS worthy!

Gowgirl Fri 24-Feb-17 16:42:07

Why on earth would you email social services, yep its not ideal but many people leave bottles in prams and cots often propped on a soft toy, 15 months is hardly a newborn, and i potter about putting washing away upstairs when mine are in the bath, they are still in earshot with the bathroom door open.

bloodyteenagers Fri 24-Feb-17 16:42:37

How can it be possible to leave a 3 year old for several years?

HecateAntaia Fri 24-Feb-17 16:43:26

it's dangerous to leave a small child in the bath alone. they can and do drown in even a small amount of water. it is a genuine cause for concern. as is the choking hazard of propping a baby up with a bottle. but tbf probably less so at 15 months. but its still not good. or good for their teeth.

tbh this is fairly basic stuff that any parent ought to know so if your sister doesnt know this - what else does she not know?

i would have spoken with her about it before deciding whether or not to pursue it further.

UnbornMortificado Fri 24-Feb-17 16:45:27

I don't like the bath thing but a relatives child died after being left unattended.

Have you tried talking to her? Is she struggling at all?

Scarydinosaurs Fri 24-Feb-17 16:46:49

Bath is a bit worrying- though several years? How long downstairs? In a full bath? did you hear from her that she does this or her daughter?

The bottle thing- what is your issue with that?

smileygrapefruit Fri 24-Feb-17 16:47:07

I leave 3yo dd1 in the bath while I sort dd2 out for bed. I tell her to keep singing or talking so I know she's ok. I am only in the next room and run through if she goes quiet even for a few seconds. I would never leave her upstairs while I was downstairs though, why does your sister do this? But yeah, you should raise your concerns with your sister, not ss.

redexpat Fri 24-Feb-17 16:47:13

Those are both judgement calls. The risks are low but the stakes are high. Its her choice.

I left ds in the bath all the time at that age. He made so much noise I could hear he was safe, and he would never try anything like climbing out. I would never leave dd though because she is a different kettle of fish.

Out2pasture Fri 24-Feb-17 16:47:25

You know 25 yrs ago people left their kids in the bath unsupervised (door open) and relaxed (with a cup of tea) for 30 minutes...

HecateAntaia Fri 24-Feb-17 16:50:39

yes. and sometimes the child drowned.

doesnt really seem worth the risk.

Trainspotting1984 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:51:50

"Those are both judgement calls. The risks are low but the stakes are high. Its her choice."

^^ absolutely this. These things are within the realms of a parent being able to decide, not being instructed by social services. I mean who do you think you are? You know people can parent how they like within pretty high parameters of perfect don't you?

DianaMemorialJam Fri 24-Feb-17 16:53:04

I call bullshit on ss thinking there is 'concern'.

Trainspotting1984 Fri 24-Feb-17 16:54:35

Yeah me too

EmilyRosanne Fri 24-Feb-17 16:54:51

I really don't see the issue with the bottle? By that age DC1 went to bed with a bottle and DC2 is breastfed to sleep every night, that seems like a parenting choice not a social services issue and if I knew my own sister had reported me for that then it would be the end of our relationship.

Hgmother Fri 24-Feb-17 16:56:22

For several years but your kids 3?

If that's some mistake there then no I wouldn't be happy about it at all but I wouldn't call social services either. Also can't see the problem of having water in bed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now