Talk

Advanced search

Can you eat too many bananas?

(26 Posts)
FromDistantOphir Thu 23-Feb-17 21:50:17

My 2yo could eat 7 or 8 bananas a day if I let him....

Is there any danger in letting him eat loads of bananas? Is there such a thing as too many bananas?

fabulous01 Thu 23-Feb-17 21:52:41

One of my twins loves them but gets badly constipated so they are only given as a special treat and only if she is regular

FromDistantOphir Thu 23-Feb-17 21:56:59

Thanks.

fortunately, DS tends to be very regular and has quite loose bowels. Bananas seem to make no difference to this.

I'm wondering if maybe I let him have 7 or 8 bananas a day, this fetish for bananas would soon wear thin and we'd no longer live under the Banana Tyranny.

mycatloveslego Thu 23-Feb-17 21:58:53

They have a lot of potassium in them which can cause abnormal heart rhythms if you have levels in your blood that are too high. I'd be careful about letting him have more than a couple a day.

PonderLand Thu 23-Feb-17 21:59:14

I've also heard bananas can cause constipation however my brother used to eat 2/3 bananas a day when we were younger and they didn't effect him. I suppose just give it a go and see! If you notice him getting bowel issues then give him some fresh orange juice, should help things along!

PonderLand Thu 23-Feb-17 22:00:29

Also 7/8 maybe a bit too many! Too much of anything is never good, I didn't know about the potassium issue but that proves the theory.

FromDistantOphir Thu 23-Feb-17 22:01:48

ok, the heart thing has slightly freaked me out (to be fair, that's quite easy to do). I have no idea how many bananas they let him have at nursery.. I never ask... so I suppose he might already have been having 7 - 8 bananas a day....

ReggaeShark Thu 23-Feb-17 22:07:17

If I were you I'd definitely check RDA for potassium for a child and check how much in bananas. I'd guess 7 or 8 is too much potassium.

PastysPrincess Thu 23-Feb-17 22:10:56

I have the same problem; we had to remove the fruit bowl once he figured out how to open them himself.

FromDistantOphir Thu 23-Feb-17 22:12:35

His favourite story at the moment involves monkeys eating bananas...we stay on that page a looooooong time. sigh.

mycatloveslego Thu 23-Feb-17 22:19:11

Sorry Op I didn't mean to freak you out. Even with 7-8 bananas a day he's probably only very slightly over the RDA for potassium, but I guess it depends what else he eats that might have potassium in it too.

Thinkingblonde Thu 23-Feb-17 22:21:02

No more than two a day is what a nutritionist recommended to me.
They are high in potassium,

coragreta Thu 23-Feb-17 22:34:53

Also that's 700calories just in bananas. That can't be good. He needs to be getting his calories from a wide varied diet.

RebelRogue Thu 23-Feb-17 22:37:54

It would take 400 bananas to get enough potassium to kill someone.

Highlove Thu 23-Feb-17 22:39:58

I'd imagine there's a lot of sugar in 7 or 8 bananas. But it's also probably half his daily calorie requirements and having that much of one thing will have an impact on how much else he eats, meaning he probably won't be getting a wide enough variety of nutrients. Really, I don't think a toddler ought to routinely have more than one banana a day!

ghostwatch Thu 23-Feb-17 23:11:11

I read somewhere that too much of any one food is not good for you.

ScrambledSmegs Thu 23-Feb-17 23:16:56

I remember an anecdote on Buzzcocks years ago about Peter Andre collapsing on stage due to eating too many bananas. I have no idea if it's true or not, but eating 7 or 8 a day would probably give both adults and toddlers stomach pains.

originalbiglymavis Thu 23-Feb-17 23:20:26

I know if you have kidney problems you are advised to limit it to one a day because of the potassium. I imagine 7 or 8 a day for a child is a huge amount!

LilQueenie Thu 23-Feb-17 23:20:51

I limit my daughter to 2 a day because of the potassium which is basically something to do with heart rhythm.

Doglikeafox Fri 24-Feb-17 17:15:46

Bananas are fantastic for children.. and adults... and everyone! grin
But I think 7-8 is too much, and personally I would aim for 2-4 a day max. Overdosing on potassium is unlikely, but as another poster has said the bigger concern is that your little one is getting so many of his calories from bananas, rather than a good mix of other things.
Although, as I said, bananas are amazinggringrin

Doglikeafox Fri 24-Feb-17 17:16:28

I have about 4-6 a day as a perfectly healthy adult, for perspective smile

Kittylongpopping Sun 26-Feb-17 22:36:03

Nothing to add i'm afraid in way of advice but my DD who is 2 is exactly the same. I have to hide the bananas or she would just eat them all day. I buy a new bunch of bananas everyday!

I have often wondered whether it is possible to eat too many and to not be good for you

Penfold007 Sun 26-Feb-17 22:53:09

I appreciate it's fructose but then is roughly 12 grams of sugar in a banana. Seven or eight a day is 84 to 96 grams of sugar a day.

LittleMissCantbebothered Sun 26-Feb-17 23:04:10

There's a woman (name forgotten) who eats 50 bananas a day and looks super lean and amazing. You'll have to google her though.

Doglikeafox Mon 27-Feb-17 07:37:17

Freelee the banana girl grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now