Talk

Advanced search

Do you still sterilise dummy's?

(16 Posts)
Summerdays2014 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:19:39

Hi,

My son is 13 months and we've now got rid of all bottles, but he is still having a dummy for naps and night time. I used to just put the dummy's in the steriliser with the bottles every morning... Do I still need to do this?

Thanks

DaisyQueen Thu 23-Feb-17 19:21:32

I wouldn't sterilise it if it has just been in the house a quick wash it under the tap will do but if it's dropped outside I would definitely sterilise it

user1484603141 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:22:08

My self and my mum would boil the bottles and just stick the dummy in the pan of boiling water for a bit.

Oysterbabe Fri 24-Feb-17 08:25:32

My DD is 14 months and just has them for naps too. I don't sterilize anything anymore.

arbrighton Fri 24-Feb-17 11:14:29

Could get sterilising tablets and just put the dummy in a container with that once in a while?

Littlecaf Fri 24-Feb-17 21:55:42

We didn't sterilise after 12 months although if you buy the Mam ones they come in a box which can be used to sterilise. They do start to smell after a while so I either change/throw or sterilise every few weeks. He only has a dummy at night so they don't really leave his room.

HandbagFan Sat 25-Feb-17 07:50:24

DS is 12m and we still sterilise his dummies. As you say, we just chuck them in with his bottles. No fuss, takes no time at all, and I know they start off clean. Of course they end up on the carpet so it's all pretty pointless but I know they have been cleaned regularly.

lakehouse Sat 25-Feb-17 07:52:22

Bit old for dummies, no?

Ankleswingers Sat 25-Feb-17 07:53:12

I did.

NickyEds Sat 25-Feb-17 07:57:56

We wash them in hot soapy water and every now and then put them in a cup of boiling water. Dd is 19 months and ds is 3- the dummies are only ever in their beds though so don't get very dirty!

AyeAmarok Sat 25-Feb-17 08:06:34

He's 13 months, not years, Lake.

MrsPringles Sat 25-Feb-17 08:06:50

She wasn't asking that Lake
hmm

Agree, clean in v hot water but don't sterilise

welshweasel Sat 25-Feb-17 08:08:27

We stopped sterilising bottles at 12 months so stopped doing dummies then as well. After seeing him licking the carpet at nursery I didn't really see the point.

Coldhandscoldheart Sat 25-Feb-17 08:12:50

They get a good wash with hot soapy water after each use & I collect them up in a container & pour boiling water over them every I dunno, couple of days?
She puts worse things in her mouth every day, but I do feel dummies get a bit Mandy being in a mouth all night.

Coldhandscoldheart Sat 25-Feb-17 08:13:07

Mandy? Manky!

Summerdays2014 Sat 25-Feb-17 10:48:52

Thanks everyone. The boiling water idea is a good one. Lake, I do intend to get rid of the dummy's, but doing things in stages at the minute. Just got rid of all bottles which has gone well, I'll be moving onto getting rid of the dummy's (only used for sleeping) when I've got through the one to two nap transition (and got him successfully napping in the cot) It's like a never ending cycle of things to sort!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now