Talk

Advanced search

Children's clothes

(11 Posts)
crazydogladyo Wed 22-Feb-17 22:10:43

I seem to spend a fortune. I have a 3 year old and seem to buy constantly. What do most people spend monthly?

TeenAndTween Thu 23-Feb-17 15:12:53

I found that at 3 you could get quite a lot at charity shops.
I used to buy large and they were worn until short in arms / legs.
I definitely didn't 'buy constantly or even monthly!

But you do need more clothes at that age. Once they go to school and are in uniform you can get away with fewer clothes (except in the summer holidays).

Does your 3yo actually wear everything you buy or is some stuff outgrown before it has been worn?

Heirhelp Thu 23-Feb-17 15:20:02

My DD is younger but I buy all her clothes from Sainsbury's when they have 25% off.

Ruby2202 Thu 23-Feb-17 15:31:53

Just spent £140 on my 2 yo dd in John Lewis. I couldn't resist as I love the clothes. I tried shopping online on cheaper places but couldn't find anything I like. I promised my husband I would spend less on her but I can't help myself. But it's a step down from mini Boden, Zara kids and Jojo where I was shopping! I ve probably spent another £40 so £170 approx on her 2-3 yo clothes, not including summer tee-shirts. I got lots second hand too from friends but still seem to spend lots. Except summer stuff that will be it for the year though. So guess not too bad just looks a lot when in a lump sum.

charmanar Thu 23-Feb-17 15:39:51

Have you tried buying bundles of second hand clothes from eBay? There are some good makes like Boden at a fraction of the price, and decent quality as kids hardly wear them before they outgrow. I've started making clothes for my DS from my husbands old Tshirts!

bigredboat Thu 23-Feb-17 15:51:17

Stock up on basics when deals are on (next ½ price, Tu 25% off, John Lewis Xmas sale etc), hand me downs or cheap eBay/Facebook bundles are ideal for nursery so it doesn't feel like money wasted if you have to chuck them out. I find h&m stuff wears quite well, and Asda is not much more £ than primark but better quality.

EggsEleven Thu 23-Feb-17 16:53:13

My DD is younger but I buy a lot of brands like Boden, JoJo, Little Bird and Joules from EBay at a fraction of the price.

I also buy ahead online from shops from when sales are on taking into account what weather the season will be when she reaches that age e.g she was 6 months in Jan and I bought a lot of 12-18 month clothes in the sales making sure that there was stuff she could wear in summer.

Asda when they have baby/toddler events on and Tu when they do the 25% off. M&S when they have the 20% offer.

As a PP said H&M is good. Primark is a false economy as the quality is shit imo.

Basically, EBay has saved me a fortune and I have lots of lovely stuff from there which I can sell on later.

Oly5 Thu 23-Feb-17 16:55:46

I buy a year ahead in the sales so lots is half price. Mine are growing in line with their growth charts so it's working so far.
Then I top up as needed. But with shoes I easily spend £100-£150pm on two kids.

crazydogladyo Thu 23-Feb-17 22:53:55

Perhaps I should re-open my eBay account. I some issues with it and closed it, but it seems I could probably buy some really decent things without spending a fortune.
Most of the clothes we have do get worn, maybe not all!

skankingpiglet Fri 24-Feb-17 00:17:56

I buy all the John Lewis nicer stuff for the year ahead in the January sales, then I'll buy supermarket (usually Tu at 25% off) at points throughout the year as it's needed/will be needed soon for preschool and childminder clothes. I also pick up odd bits at nearly new sales, but that gets less as she's grown as I struggle to find nice items in good nick now. As a baby I bought everything sale or 2nd hand (eBay, Facebook selling sites, and nearly new sales), with about 60% being second hand.
I spent about £350 in the sales for DD1 (she'll be going into 3-4 next), although that includes a decent winter coat and gillet, and will likely spend another £150 over the year at the supermarkets in T-shirts, hoodie, joggers, tights, socks etc. It's a lot, but I want to be able to pass on as much as possible to DD2, so to me it's worth paying a bit more for decent stuff. It's worked well as I can count on my fingers the number of items I've bought DD2 (about to go into her 5th size of clothes), and of those items 2 were newborn grows as I felt bad she had nothing new, and most others were things in the sale which were just too cute to not buy. Anything left in useable condition once both DDs have grown out of them is sold, which has been most of it, and the nicer brands fetch a much higher price.

Shoes are obviously not included in that budget. I stick my head in the sand on the cost of those. DD1 has flippers for feet and is always outgrowing her shoes. She has trainers and wellies in each size she goes into, plus either crocs or furry boots depending on the season. I save money on shoes by buying wellies in the sales ahead of time, crocs are second hand on eBay, and furry boots are new on eBay. Trainers on the other hand, there seems to be no escaping the extortionate cost. I've tried buying size ups in the sales, but they rarely have the size I want in a style that isn't totally fugly or impractical.

MeNeedSleep Sun 26-Feb-17 23:15:13

I do what pp does and buy one size up, and then they wear it until too small.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now