Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to wrap sling for newborn?

(28 Posts)
Jellybluebean Wed 22-Feb-17 16:48:38

Please can anyone recommend a sling for a newborn that isn't a wrap sling?

I'm only 5ft and find the wraps far too long to use comfortably and just feel swathed in too much material. I'm really after a grab and go type of sling.

I have my eye on a Connecta for when the baby is older - but they don't look very comfortable for a newborn.

Can anyone suggest an alternative for the first few months? Thanks!

Heirhelp Wed 22-Feb-17 16:59:54

Can you get to a sling library or ask them?

MinisWin Wed 22-Feb-17 17:01:58

A close caboo might suit you, it isn't a wrap, and you tie the ends both behind and in front so they're not dangling; might be better?

Eclecticmama Wed 22-Feb-17 17:03:15

I really like my lillebaby four seasons, though have to admit I didn't use it from birth, though you can. There is a clip to go around wee one's torso to keep them up and you can roll a small blanket and put it under their bottom to give them a bit of support. I like the fact than unlike the ergobaby you don't have to pay extra for the newborn bits.

Eclecticmama Wed 22-Feb-17 17:04:10

The lillebaby isn't actually wrap, it's a soft structured carrier. Not sure if that's what you were after

savagehk Wed 22-Feb-17 17:04:35

Another vote for the close caboo, I've not tried them though but know others get on well with them.

Cakescakescakes Wed 22-Feb-17 17:04:35

Close Caboo. Soft like a wrap but is pre tied etc. I'm only 5ft 3 and I got on great with it.

YellowRoses6 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:21:40

I have a Boba sling which I used with my boy from when he was only about a week old (it comes with a little 'seat' insert to use for a newborn). It's really easy to use, and it lasts until they're walking.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 23-Feb-17 08:23:05

I love my Caboo. Both DD and DS have been in it from day 2. We've also got an ergo that we use from about 4 months but I didn't get on with the ergo newborn insert. The Caboo is much softer and snugglier for them.

starsinyourpies Thu 23-Feb-17 08:27:32

Close Caboo, once you get used to it it is really easy and very comfy!

charmanar Thu 23-Feb-17 15:45:48

You can use a ring sling from birth. They are so quick to put on! Or there's a good sling group on fb where loads of women can give you advice (I forget what it's called though)

RuskBaby Thu 23-Feb-17 15:50:12

I loved the close Caboo, my baby didn't. It was fabulously easy to get baby in and out of quickly.

Silverthorn Thu 23-Feb-17 15:56:23

I use an Ergo structured carrier from birth with my son. You can get an infant insert cushion for it. Has a little zip pocket and a sun shade. Still using it at 10months. Used everyday in the summer because 2Yo was using the pushchair. ☺

Starduke Thu 23-Feb-17 15:59:28

True it wasn't fab for a newborn but Connecta is bloody brilliant. So comfy and can be used even to carry a toddler.

I did use it from birth (with the tie to make the bit between the legs smaller) but not very often. Fortunately the baby I bought it for could be put down unlike DS1

savagehk Thu 23-Feb-17 16:40:25

charmanar - Slings and Things - FSOT and advice?

helly29 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:12:59

I have the boba 3g soft structured carrier- got it when ds was a few months old, but it had an insert for newborns. Very durable and easy to use. I liked the my moby wrap but getting it on was a faff, hence the switch

RedLemonade Thu 23-Feb-17 20:16:00

I used my Connecta from birth but I had a 9 pounder so she wasn't lost in it. I'm still using it every day now at nearly 7 months. Love it.

madeleinecreek Thu 23-Feb-17 21:33:08

The kari me might work for you. It's sized which means there shouldn't be any excess fabric.

charmanar Fri 24-Feb-17 14:59:55

savage yes that's the one!

Lorelaithe1st Fri 24-Feb-17 20:59:11

I used a Connecta from a few weeks and it was fine with my 6lb daughter. I tried a stretchy wrap but didn't get on with it. Have you got a local sling library where you can try some on? I volunteer for an NCT library and we help lots of pregnant woman.

StubbleTurnips Fri 24-Feb-17 21:02:14

Sling library is a must - ours is great, I really wanted a connecta but get on better with a beco gemini. It's a bit more substantial, DS has been in it from 4 weeks. Plus having had them fit me properly and their safety advice is invaluable.

LondonStill83 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:12:14

Definitely the close Caboo. DS lived in his for the first three months and only recently graduated to the Baby Bjorn active. I am short too.

SerialReJoiner Fri 24-Feb-17 21:17:14

Another ring sling vote from me. I use it constantly with my 7 week old DS. It is so cozy and very easy to use.

Artandco Fri 24-Feb-17 21:17:35

Baby ktan for soft sling with no tying

Then boba 4g or manduca

ODog Sat 25-Feb-17 13:47:37

I used a ring sling with DD from newborn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now