Talk

Advanced search

Can someone explain baby sleeping bag togs for me? Summer baby...!

(16 Posts)
Crunchyside Wed 22-Feb-17 10:46:28

With our first baby who was born in Summer, we didn't discover sleeping bags until he was a few months old and it was already winter.

This time I think we'll use a sleeping bag from newborn stage onwards, I'm due 3rd June and just wondering what tog I will need for the first 3 months. It gets very hot in our room in Summer, sometimes 25C or more. So I suppose it'll need to be the thinnest tog possible?

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 22-Feb-17 10:47:53

I'd go for 1 tog. Most of them come with a clothing/temperature guide for what to put the baby to bed wearing, in the sleeping bag.

Heirhelp Wed 22-Feb-17 11:58:52

At 25c you probably don't want a sleeping bag.

If you google sleeping bag temperature charts there are loads that show you what tog and how many layers for the room temperature.

Me624 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:03:38

Last summer I had a 1 tog sleeping bag for DS and he wore either a short sleeved vest or sometimes just his nappy underneath it when his room was 24 degrees ish. We had a few really hot days when his room was 27+ and I just used to put him in his cot in a nappy and nothing else.

Orangebird69 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:05:36

Living in the ME (it gets to over 50° in summer), even with air con, my sons room was always in the low to mid 20s. He wore a short sleeved body vest and a 1 tog. Worked well..

Crunchyside Wed 22-Feb-17 13:11:25

It's tricky isn't it because the guidance says keep baby's rooms below 20C but for us that would be impossible in the height of summer, unless we installed air conditioning, which is not really cost effective when you live in the UK and only have a few days or weeks in the year where it's warm enough to really need it!

Also, newborns like being cosy and wrapped up, so frustrating in summer having to put them down on a bare bed with no snuggly blankets or swaddles etc and they just hate it. It's one of the downsides of having a summer baby! At least in winter you can bundle them up nice and cosy.

ThatsNotMyToddler Thu 23-Feb-17 18:47:33

We got some 0.5 tog muslin sleeping bags here:
www.adenandanais.com/bedtime/sleeping-bags/classic-muslin/rock-star-classic-sleeping-bag-8094
They're almost just a single layer of muslin so hardly any heat but did stop ds sticking his legs through the cot bars and getting stuck. He was older though, so I bought a big size to offset the cost. Don't know if I would bother for a newborn, especially if in a Moses basket - would probably just go for nappy and vest if it's that hot

primaryboodle Thu 23-Feb-17 18:49:21

Dd born early summer 2016. We dodnt use a sleeping bag until end of august/early September when it droppes under 20 degrees in the bedroom. One night she slept in just a nappy as was 32 degrees overnight!!!!

PonderLand Thu 23-Feb-17 20:27:35

My DS was born on the 17th June last year. He didn't fit into a sleeping bag until September/October (his head could slide underneath.)
So we used a 1.5tog and a short sleeved vest, or just sleep suit depending on temperature.
For the summer months we'd put him in a bundler, which is like a nightie. He wore that and a vest, or just the bundler if it was really hot. Like you say they love feeling the environment around them and if they're left open they don't tend to sleep as well!
Buy a few different things and you'll soon find what he/she prefers.

PonderLand Thu 23-Feb-17 20:28:25

That wasn't very clear, I meant to say for the September/October months we used the 1.5 tg bag

PonderLand Thu 23-Feb-17 20:30:44

We used this exact one, it's 100% cotton so good for those warm nights!

Crunchyside Thu 23-Feb-17 21:54:30

PonderLand That's brilliant I've never heard of a bundler before! Such a good idea. I will definitely try it!

fruityb Thu 23-Feb-17 21:59:03

Ooh never seen bundlers!

My DS was an August baby and slept in a vest with a thin blanket until it got cooler. He likes having a cover on when he sleeps. He still had a blanket now and he's in his grobag (his room does get cold)

Crunchyside Thu 02-Mar-17 14:58:17

In the end I bought this as I had a discount code from Jojo Maman Bebe:

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/elephant-print-newborn-sleep-sack-b1500.html

It think it's kind of inbetween a bundler and a sleeping bag! Can't wait for it to arrive. The reviews sound good. Now all the baby needs to do (once it's born) is actually SLEEP grin

PonderLand Thu 02-Mar-17 15:12:08

Aw good choice!! At least they will look cute when they 'sleep' wink

KP86 Thu 02-Mar-17 15:45:37

Not the exact image I was looking for, but can't find it in my phone, so this will have to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now