Talk

Advanced search

Toy recommendations for a 1 year old?

(11 Posts)
milkyman Wed 22-Feb-17 09:50:14

My ds is growing out of her a toys and after some suggestions.

milkyman Wed 22-Feb-17 09:50:35

Dd not ds!

moggle Wed 22-Feb-17 11:05:58

Tomy hide and squeak eggs are popular here and my DD has found numerous ways to play with them. Firstly just squeaking them, putting them in her mouth, and putting them in and out of the box, next matching up the shapes on the bottom, then matching the colours, naming the colours and shapes. They're still a favourite and she's 27 months now.
juggling scarves like these are so fun for playing hide and seek with and wafting around when they're babies, and they become headscarves, skirts, capes and tails for dressing up; blankets for dolls and toys; colour learning, etc.

some other ideas...
My DD also started getting Duplo when she was 1 - a little young then but by about 16m she was able to click them together and loved just building brick towers at the start.
The type of toy where you push a button and a character pops up from a flap. Then you press the flap down and do it again, and again, and again.
A pull along animal on a string.
A bouncy animal space hopper type thing. (I like the inflating ones because you can deflate them and they don't take up much room)

SleepFreeZone Wed 22-Feb-17 11:13:54

Off the top of my head my 12 month old loves;

Things that open and shut, so the Melissa and Doug house with the doors is regularly played with.

Posting toys, so the pig with the coins and a robot where you post discs into it and it speaks

He loves shape sorters although I do help him with the two he has

He has a play kitchen curtesy of his older brother and he sits and sorts stuff all day long. Opens the door and puts stuff in and lifts the bowl and puts stuff down the hole etc.

He loves building blocks and mega blocks. He did get a duplo set for his birthday but his brother has monopolised that.

Don't be afraid to buy some older toys as leg as the year don't have small pieces. He really enjoys his brothers stuff often more than his own. We got him a playmat with roads on it for his cars (because I couldn't deal with anymore toys with lots of parts to be thrown) and he likes that too.

SleepFreeZone Wed 22-Feb-17 11:14:56

*as long as they don't have small parts

milkyman Wed 22-Feb-17 13:38:08

Great thank you for taking the time to respond smile

Scotinoz Wed 22-Feb-17 13:55:18

Playmobil123 has been popular with my children. They both got some around 1, and while they just carried the people around initially, we've really got our monies worth.

The Squeaky Eggs mentioned above are great too!

Little People things are good too - they have nice little cars and people

We have a Melissa&Doug felt sandwich making set which is good too - there's a pita in the set to shove stuff in which has been the most popular part of the set.

Summerdays2014 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:55:49

My 13 month old got some vetch toot toot sets, vehicles and the motorised train for his birthday which are really popular with him at the moment (although the tunes they play are driving me slightly crazy...) He loves watching the train go round by itself and pressing the buttons on the front of the vehicles.

What age did people start introducing paint/play dough/colouring etc? I'm looking forward to that!

andonwego Wed 22-Feb-17 19:04:16

Musical instruments are good - little ones for little hands. Bells especially smile

As above, Duplo and Playmobil go down well here, and also wooden building bricks that don't interlock.

And stuff you find/have around - twigs, spoons, boxes, water and a sponge to soak it up and squeeze out again, pegs to peg on sthg (edges of a basket, washing line), etc etc. Once you start looking around it's hard to stop seeing things in terms of play smile

IWillOnlyEatBeans Thu 23-Feb-17 18:24:54

The Vtech Discovery Tree (or anything with balls rolling down ramps/into holes) was a massive hit with both my boys at that age.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 23-Feb-17 18:28:36

We got ds a baby trampoline and he loves it still at 2!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now