Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has my milk supply decreased?

(6 Posts)
Mrsknackered Tue 21-Feb-17 22:24:07

My youngest DS is a brilliant feeder and has had no issues with latch etc.
I had food poisoning Friday and he was not breastfed (given formula by DH) from roughly 4pm until noon the next day.
He wakes frequently at night for feeding anyway but since Saturday has been feeding every hour again, day and night and is very frustrated after feeding and hard to calm down. DH suggested he might just be really really hungry and he was he drank 6oz of Aptamil in one go and then slept for 4 hours straight sad
I've tried to pump but am only getting 3oz after 45mins, I don't understand!
Any suggestions as to what is happening? Or what I can do to improve?
He's 12 weeks.

Heirhelp Tue 21-Feb-17 22:59:24

Probably just a growth spurt. If it is a growth spurt or your milk supply has gone down the answer to feed and keep feeding.

Do you normally get lots of milk when pumping?

Rocket1982 Tue 21-Feb-17 23:01:55

I think illness can cause a temporary reduction in supply. Keep feeding and pumping and it should return! You could try to eat plenty and take fenugreek supplements to increase supply - works for some.

AppleYumYum Wed 22-Feb-17 00:23:22

Pumping milk is never as effective as what a baby can get so don't get too worried about that, babies are much more efficient than a pump. Just get comfy somewhere and keep swapping from side to side and feed him more often.

It takes three days to increase or reduce your supply. I agree with a PP, probably a growth spurt, or perhaps he missed you while you were sick and is making up for lost time! Sometimes they do a bit of non nutritive sucking (sucking but not really drinking) to increase your supply for when they have a growth spurt in three days so the milk is there for them.

teaandbiscuitsforme Wed 22-Feb-17 07:10:01

20 hours is a long time for a 12 week old to not breastfeed so he will need as much time at the breast as he demands. There's lots of info on Kellymom and The Milk Meg about low supply, relactating and supplementing.

HappyMummy9 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:53:11

Have you tried to increase your milk supply with a nursing tea? For me I found that Lactus Strong really helped. After a day or so I felt an increase in my milk production.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now