Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

DD downloaded £174.00 worth of books

(44 Posts)
whatonaschoolnight Tue 21-Feb-17 20:57:45

I bought my DD (10) a kindle for Christmas and showed her how to download free books. I told her that she couldn't buy any books but for birthday etc she could get amazon vouchers and then get books.

Today I checked my savings account and found out that she has been downloading books for the past 2 weeks and has downloaded £174.00 worth of books. I am fuming.

The kindle has been confiscated and she is grounded for the next week. But I don't know how to discipline her so she never does anything like this again.

I feel like she has gone into my purse and stolen the money, I am totally gutted.

OverAndAbove Tue 21-Feb-17 21:00:32

Didn't you get an email every time? I always get one when I download a kindle book. In any case, don't panic as if she hasn't read them you can cancel them and get a refund. But yes, she should know better st that age

Fitzsimmons Tue 21-Feb-17 21:01:47

Did she understand what she was doing? Did she know it was costing money?

LIZS Tue 21-Feb-17 21:01:53

Did she know they were not free books? Did you not get email receipts? That must be some library collection.

CatOnAWarmTinRoof Tue 21-Feb-17 21:02:17

How recently did she download the books?
You can return and refund for 7 days

fusspot66 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:02:52

We had this once with Amazon purchases of online comics and add ons when DD was 8. I took £40 in Xmas money from her and paid the other £48 myself as I felt culpable in that she knew my password. She was mortified. I've since uncoupled the card and saved myself a fortune in impulse buys. If you can demonstrate to.Amazon the frequency and cost and type of purchase and if many are unread you may get some refunded. It's worth a go.

gleam Tue 21-Feb-17 21:03:09

I'd contact Amazon, see if they can help.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Tue 21-Feb-17 21:03:22

Why didn't you password protect the purchasing bit if it was linked to your card?

RitaConnors Tue 21-Feb-17 21:05:39

A lot rests on whether she knew the books would have to be paid for.

measles64 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:06:17

I changed my Amazon account password when cheeky son asked to buy something, I said no and was told I couldn`t stop him because my password was ** I never save my password on that account either.

NerrSnerr Tue 21-Feb-17 21:08:43

How does she have access to be able to purchase? Have you set it up as Amazon family or is it just your account? I know she shouldn't be buying books with your money but you must have seen the many sadface stories where this has happened?

SofiaAmes Tue 21-Feb-17 21:09:00

Contact Amazon and they will more than likely refund/help. Then set up the family options and parental controls on your dd's Kindle. You can prevent her from spending any money through these. Check your Amazon settings because if your dd can spend money without you being notified then a hacker can spend money without you being notified.
And finally....Get your dd a library card and show her how to check out/download free books from the library.

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 21-Feb-17 21:09:44

Are your credit card details linked to your daughter's Amazon account?

Three of our children have kindles, which are linked to their Amazon accounts. None of these accounts have a credit card linked to them. If they receive Amazon gift vouchers for Christmas or birthday then they can add these to a balance on their Amazon account and then spend it. Otherwise, they can only order free kindle books, because there's no money there. If they try to spend more than the balance, the 'buy' button doesn't light up as clickable.

However you decide to deal with the debt she has accumulated so far, I suggest you remove your credit card details from her Amazon account to prevent this from happening in the future.

SofiaAmes Tue 21-Feb-17 21:11:35

Also, I set up free online bank accounts for my dc's when they were around 6 or 7 (we're in the US, so not sure how easy this is in the UK) and used the debit card from those accounts for their online accounts (apple, amazon etc.) so that the max damage they could do would be to empty their own bank account and their own funds (minimal) and not run up my credit card.

happy2bhomely Tue 21-Feb-17 21:14:50

My dc have kindles, but they have the kids unlimited monthly subscription. They are able to download as much as they want for a fixed monthly fee. The kindles are also password protected and have parental controls for web access.

I think at 10 she is too young to take full responsibility. Is she upset? Does she understand what she has done? My punishment would depend on her attitude. Honestly, I think you should have made sure that this was not possible.

FlaviaAlbia Tue 21-Feb-17 21:15:59

Do you get notifications of the books she buys? I'd be concerned about giving her unsupervised access to the Kindle store even for free books. There are definitely books that are unsuitable for a 10yr old in the free category.

issynoho Tue 21-Feb-17 21:23:25

My DD for a Kindle for Xmas and I was really disappointed with how badly Amazon have set up the purchasing thing. It is FAR too easy for her to accidentally buy a book - 1 click and a teeny tiny cancel button, no password request.

I also was not getting any purchase confirmation emails for Kindle purchases until i went in and updated settings, then they all came through at once. Never had a problem with emails for any other Amazon purchases.

So I created her own account and added her gift cards. It now won't let her use the gift card balance unless we have a credit card attached to the account. She can download free books though.

Am rapidly going off Amazon tbh.

SofiaAmes Tue 21-Feb-17 21:55:33

Yes, agree that the Kindle parental controls are complicated and not very fit for purpose. Really much better for a 3 year old and not an older child who you want to have some, but not all access.

whatonaschoolnight Thu 23-Feb-17 16:41:19

Sorry for the late reply.
While I am aware that I too am to blame, she has admitted that she knew what she was doing although she thought the money was prepaid on to the kindle.

I told her she should have come to me when she bought the 1st one and we could have sorted it there and then.

I am thinking of selling the kindle as a lesson to her and as a way of getting money back. But I feel sad as she really loves the kindle.

It's so hard at times being a parent working out which route to go along.

BWatchWatcher Thu 23-Feb-17 16:45:26

Just disable one click and add parental controls.
Then it will prompt you before it all goes through. You can also disable the shop so they don't even see other books.
Don't blame the tech if you can't be bothered to read the instructions.
Show them 'overdrive' which has ebooks from your local library.

specialsubject Thu 23-Feb-17 16:45:33

Amazon will do all they can to make it easy to spend money, they aren't a charity. Don't leave a card attached to your account.

The kindle may not work with e library books ( funny that....) I use a laptop to download library books and then connect it to a nook e reader.

blueskyinmarch Thu 23-Feb-17 16:46:11

On the one hand it is brilliant that she likes reading so much. On the other hand she needs to be punished for running up such a huge bill. You also need to change your Amazon password and make sure you get an e mail for every purchase made.

I don't think selling the Kindle would be right answer. She obviously loves it. Perhaps tell her that she has now had her birthday and possibly Christmas ( depending how much you usually spend) for this year.

BWatchWatcher Thu 23-Feb-17 16:46:34

Sorry OP the message was type as you were posting yours.
Good for you!
Can you make her earn the books back?

claraschu Thu 23-Feb-17 16:46:36

Don't sell the kindle; it's great that she wants to read so much! Have you followed earlier suggestions landlocked into getting a refund?

I think, from her point of view, this is a world away from sneaking into your purse and stealing money to buy treats, (even though the financial impact is the same).

BWatchWatcher Thu 23-Feb-17 16:47:05

The overdrive app does work with the kindle fire.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: